Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I Get Back To Law School?  (Read 703 times)

mj600cbr

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I Get Back To Law School?
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
In the fall of 2006 I began law school at a tier 4 school.  I went a semester, then the next semester I withdrew.  I did this because financially I couldn't continue school and couldn't justify the debt I was going to be in versus salary when I graduate the school.  I have been in the workforce since, working as an accountant, always thinking of what could have been.  I want to retake my LSAT and reapply to schools, starting off as a 1L again.  My question is, will this short stint at law school effect my eligibility and "admissionability" to get into a different school again.  Please note, I'd like to apply as a 1L, start fresh, with no intent to transfer anything.  Thanks!

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I Get Back To Law School?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »
i think that first semester will count, unless your school wasn't accredited by the aba (and maybe even then). so i would call any potential schools, even before re-prepping for the lsat, and see what their policy would be for someone in your situation.

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
On school applications, they do ask for your complete academic record from every school you've attended... I think there'd be some stubbed toes if you omitted the stint.

(Take this for what it is: pure speculation).

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »
Well, like convicted said, you will likely have to submit transcripts from every institution you attended, even if you didn't graduate from there. But if you're asking whether dropping out after a semester in school will affect your "eligibility" to apply to law school, the answer is no. You should definitely put in a thoughtful addendum with your application.  Your grades from that first semester will be taken into consideration though.