Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I Get Back To Law School?  (Read 2743 times)

mj600cbr

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I Get Back To Law School?
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »
In the fall of 2006 I began law school at a tier 4 school.  I went a semester, then the next semester I withdrew.  I did this because financially I couldn't continue school and couldn't justify the debt I was going to be in versus salary when I graduate the school.  I have been in the workforce since, working as an accountant, always thinking of what could have been.  I want to retake my LSAT and reapply to schools, starting off as a 1L again.  My question is, will this short stint at law school effect my eligibility and "admissionability" to get into a different school again.  Please note, I'd like to apply as a 1L, start fresh, with no intent to transfer anything.  Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I Get Back To Law School?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »
Sticky situation. For best results, call some schools and ask them. They'll be able to tell you a lot better than any of us can.

For what it's worth, I have heard of people having a rough time getting back into law school once they withdrew, but it was usually because they were failing out and I've only ever heard of a few people in such a situation.

Good luck.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:47 AM »
Sticky situation. For best results, call some schools and ask them. They'll be able to tell you a lot better than any of us can.

For what it's worth, I have heard of people having a rough time getting back into law school once they withdrew, but it was usually because they were failing out and I've only ever heard of a few people in such a situation.

Good luck.

I agree with this. TT the admissions offices. My gut says you won't have a problem, and, depending on your new work history and LSAT score, you could come out looking like a genius. Think about it. Wouldn't you respect a guy who realized he just wasn't ready or wasn't in the right situation for maximum success? I would! It makes you look like you have strong judgement, something most people are lacking.

Go forth and doith!  ;) :)

steelerfan82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »

Good luck.

I'd agree. I'm pretty much in the same boat (you'll see my post in a bit). If your score comes out better, you'd be in much more commanding position that would negate your previous experience and even come out in your favor. Even if they didn't, the fact that you're applying despite your history could play in your favor (your determination, if you play it right). But still, the admissions office(s) would make the call, not me ;)

If you plan strategically, you'll reap better results.
GO STEELERS!

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
I think it would depend on the school.

What I would say is that the experience would probably make for a great personal statement for schools where you are borderline. That's my guess at least.

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
I think you can definitely do it. I am in the exact same boat. I went to a T4 in the fall of 2006 right out of undergrad and left early in the spring semester to take job offer I had been given in my BS field (accounting). I definitely was not ready for law school hence the poor application and little options given in terms of acceptances. I too did the financial analysis of it all and the immense debt for what I was getting and my preparedness did not make sense at all. Working has truly taught me the responsibility and accountability needed for LS. Anyway, I would like to get back between 2010 and 2012 if possible.

It is completely doable. I have spoken to numerous schools in my region (West Coast) who have said that the prior experience does not matter. What will matter will be my completely new application, LSAT, LOR's, work experience, PS, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

externalaw

• Boo
    • View Profile
    • For the  Law student
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
I did the same thing, 3 semesters and dropped out due to finances.
Now 6 years later I have been accepted by another school,

I guess you would have to show them what has changed, how you have learned and how things will be different this time.
I would help a lot to show some sort of activity that indicates a true desire to return, volunteer work or a direction you want to go into.

Goodluck, post back!
I frequent the following law student support forum
www.externalaw.com

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
No, not whatsoever. I had an aborted law school attendance on my application, I disclosed it and explained why, it did not appear to have any negative effect on my applications.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.