Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are there better days/times for callbacks?  (Read 2536 times)

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
are there better days/times for callbacks?
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »
So I have a few callbacks in a city I want to move to...I will do one on friday, and one on monday, as this works better with my school schedule and as I love this city and have people to visit. i won't even need a hotel. what i want to know is, what are thoughts on friday afternoon callbacks?? bad idea? i could go friday morning or friday afternoon. and what about monday?  i feel like monday morning, people are sad the weekend is over, stressde, etc. but that is based on interviewing in other industries.  again, i could go monday afternoon. the fternoon advanatge i see is that i sometimes stess out and have a hard time sleeping....so if i need to sleep til noon to be ready, i could, if the callback is at 2. Does any of this matter much in OCI? thanks!!

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are there better days/times for callbacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »
please help, i need to schedule soon...i like the idea of monday morning but don't want the interviewers to be all grumpy and stessed b/c the week is starting.

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »
So I have a few callbacks in a city I want to move to...I will do one on friday, and one on monday, as this works better with my school schedule and as I love this city and have people to visit. i won't even need a hotel. what i want to know is, what are thoughts on friday afternoon callbacks?? bad idea? i could go friday morning or friday afternoon. and what about monday?  i feel like monday morning, people are sad the weekend is over, stressde, etc. but that is based on interviewing in other industries.  again, i could go monday afternoon. the fternoon advanatge i see is that i sometimes stess out and have a hard time sleeping....so if i need to sleep til noon to be ready, i could, if the callback is at 2. Does any of this matter much in OCI? thanks!!

if youre doing a friday, i'd do it in the morning, but i guess really thats up to you. i did a monday am yesterday and nobody was sad..

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
I also suggest Friday morning if possible. Everyone will be mentally checked out by 4 on Friday afternoon (presumably, including you).

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:21:58 PM »
great, thanks! that is very helpful. i may just go mon/tuesday now...i do think friday afternoon is bad and don't want to be there from thurs-mon and don't want to take a 5 am flight...

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »
I like Friday afternoons.  People will want to relax and just talk.  Coming to the office Monday mornings, they might have lots of stuff to catch up on, etc.  They won't want to think about you. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

dinsosaur junior

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
well, that makes me happy...that someone thinks fri afternoon is not bad...it really does work best for me, time wise. i would then fly out friday morning and would have a huge cushion so I know I could make my appt. and yeah, first thing monday morning sounds bad.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »
I doubt Monday morning would be a problem.  Let's be realistic here.  If these are BIGLAW firms, odds are, many of the people you're meeting with spent a chunk of their weekend working anyway.  Mondays sort of loose their dreadfulness when you no longer get to play and screw around for a full 48 hours on the weekend.

At then end of the day though, these are your callbacks.  As long as the firm is willing to schedule it at whatever time, then just do what you think makes the most sense and you feel comfortable with.  If you interview well, and have the qualifications, Monday am vs. Monday pm shouldn't make a difference.  Remember that a callback isn't just about the firm interviewing you, it's you gauging if the firm fits with what you're looking for, too, so your interviewers will likely be putting their best foot forward as well.

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:23:15 PM »
I don't really see how they're working all of the time. at the most, I see around 2300 hours worked as the average for the largest firms. That comes out to less than 50 hours a week...

So, are those numbers just lies or what?

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »
I don't really see how they're working all of the time. at the most, I see around 2300 hours worked as the average for the largest firms. That comes out to less than 50 hours a week...

So, are those numbers just lies or what?

Hours billed != hours worked.
UPenn '10