Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMich to HYS?  (Read 5601 times)

intel

• View Profile
Re: UMich to HYS?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
If you're 1st in your class at Mich you might be able to transfer to YLS.

You seem to be giving YLS too much credit, or Mich not enough. 1st in class at Mich will be able to transfer to YLS 100% of the time. I know people who've transferred from schools ranked in the 30s and 40s to Yale who were not even first.

name one.

Check out the Yahoo Transfer Apps website.  There is a person accepted to Yale from George Mason (38).  That person was first in their class however.  There is another person from a "t12" (I'm assuming Duke or Cornell) that got into Yale as a transfer, with a good GPA(3.85) but they don't note that they were #1 in their class.  Clearly transferring to Yale is hard as hell, but certainly not impossible for someone near the top of their class at Michigan, not necessarily #1.

Well I know all the transfers. I was asking him to name a transfer from a school ranked in the 30s or 40s that wasn't ranked #1 in their class. You named one that was ranked first.

no...he also named one that had a 3.85.

also, #1 at GMU  (ranked 38) can get in but #1 at Mich (ranked 9) MIGHT be able to, as if there is a less than 50% chance? you were wrong, and you learned something...why are people so reluctant to admit that on an anonymous forum?

Point me to where I was wrong, please.

you were wrong in your implied assertion that #1 at Mich will have a less than 50% chance to transfer to Yale. if you meant something else by the language you used, i am all ears.

This is idiotic and just terrible reasoning. You need a dictionary and some reading comprehension skills, pronto.

I never said that #1 at mich would have less than 50%. I expressed that #1 at Mich has a possibility of transferring to Yale. Essentially, my point is that even #1 at Mich is not a shoo in as a transfer signaling how hard it is to transfer to YLS.

The other guy said he knew people that went to schools ranked in the 30s and 40s who transferred to Yale AND who were not #1. I asked him to name one. You then pointed to someone who was in a school at 38 and was ranked #1. Obviously that person isn't in the set we are talking about.

The other person you named was some dude at Mich with a 3.85 GPA who may or may not be number 1 in his class at Mich. Assuming he is #1, that tells us nothing about the probability of all persons who are #1 at Mich in a given year being able to transfer. All it indicates is that this person was able to do it successfully. If the person is not number 1, it still doesn't tell us much about the chances of a person ranked #1. There are so many other variables that go into getting into YLS as a transfer.

Again, point to where I was wrong. If you claim I was wrong again, I will break it down for you logically to show that my statement: "If he's #1 in his class at Mich he might get into Yale" is 100% correct under any factual scenario.

haha when someone opens their argument by calling the other side an idiot you know you need to remove yourself from petty internet feuds. i must admit i didn't read anything after that, and so i'll go ahead and say you are right. this should help you convince yourself that you successfully weaseled out of the uninformed and bare assertion you began with.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49:16 AM »
If you're 1st in your class at Mich you might be able to transfer to YLS.

You seem to be giving YLS too much credit, or Mich not enough. 1st in class at Mich will be able to transfer to YLS 100% of the time. I know people who've transferred from schools ranked in the 30s and 40s to Yale who were not even first.

name one.

Check out the Yahoo Transfer Apps website.  There is a person accepted to Yale from George Mason (38).  That person was first in their class however.  There is another person from a "t12" (I'm assuming Duke or Cornell) that got into Yale as a transfer, with a good GPA(3.85) but they don't note that they were #1 in their class.  Clearly transferring to Yale is hard as hell, but certainly not impossible for someone near the top of their class at Michigan, not necessarily #1.

Well I know all the transfers. I was asking him to name a transfer from a school ranked in the 30s or 40s that wasn't ranked #1 in their class. You named one that was ranked first.

no...he also named one that had a 3.85.

also, #1 at GMU  (ranked 38) can get in but #1 at Mich (ranked 9) MIGHT be able to, as if there is a less than 50% chance? you were wrong, and you learned something...why are people so reluctant to admit that on an anonymous forum?

Point me to where I was wrong, please.

you were wrong in your implied assertion that #1 at Mich will have a less than 50% chance to transfer to Yale. if you meant something else by the language you used, i am all ears.

This is idiotic and just terrible reasoning. You need a dictionary and some reading comprehension skills, pronto.

I never said that #1 at mich would have less than 50%. I expressed that #1 at Mich has a possibility of transferring to Yale. Essentially, my point is that even #1 at Mich is not a shoo in as a transfer signaling how hard it is to transfer to YLS.

The other guy said he knew people that went to schools ranked in the 30s and 40s who transferred to Yale AND who were not #1. I asked him to name one. You then pointed to someone who was in a school at 38 and was ranked #1. Obviously that person isn't in the set we are talking about.

The other person you named was some dude at Mich with a 3.85 GPA who may or may not be number 1 in his class at Mich. Assuming he is #1, that tells us nothing about the probability of all persons who are #1 at Mich in a given year being able to transfer. All it indicates is that this person was able to do it successfully. If the person is not number 1, it still doesn't tell us much about the chances of a person ranked #1. There are so many other variables that go into getting into YLS as a transfer.

Again, point to where I was wrong. If you claim I was wrong again, I will break it down for you logically to show that my statement: "If he's #1 in his class at Mich he might get into Yale" is 100% correct under any factual scenario.

haha when someone opens their argument by calling the other side an idiot you know you need to remove yourself from petty internet feuds. i must admit i didn't read anything after that, and so i'll go ahead and say you are right. this should help you convince yourself that you successfully weaseled out of the uninformed and bare assertion you began with.

I didn't call you an idiot, I called your reasoning idiotic...which it clearly was.
YLS c/o 2009

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
Mostly just higher blood pressure.

High blood pressure builds character!

If that's a Calvin and Hobbes reference, you get an A++.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
Part of art is adapting well known forms to new contexts, in order to create new meanings.

Man can't always be shoveling snow to build character, you know. Sometimes, high blood pressure has to step in.

(Which is to say that my joint b-day/anniversary present last year was the Complete Boxed C&H. I died from happiness.)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

giant_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 05:39:29 AM »
Here is a simple statement that answers all your questions and ends all the petty arguments:

Be #1 at Mich or go home. Its thats simple. No other stat will come with any hint of hope. Good Luck! and study!
david taking down goliath is not an exception to the rule, it IS the rule.