Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kaplan  (Read 1027 times)

Craving Oyer

• View Profile
Kaplan
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
Has anyone had a positive experience with Kaplan? Everything I have seen here is negative. Unfortunately, Kaplan is the only prep course available in my area. I've signed up for the Kaplan Extreme LSAT course. Any suggestions for how to get the most out of the Kaplan program? I will be supplementing my study with the Bibles.
December LSAT: 162
LSAC GPA: 3.05 (3.65)

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
I took the month long class.  My score went up 1pt.

BUT:

1)  I think I could have worked harder outside of class.  I did all the required and about half of recommended material.  I should have done all the recommended.  I did a lot of timed sections, but probably only 2 or 3 complete timed tests outside of class.   So I failed myself there.

2)  My teacher.  Ok, he just wasn't good.  His stated goal for the class was to practice his public speaking for trial litigation.  A lot of "ummms" and "ahhhs" without a real mastery of the questions.  I have no doubt he knew how to do the questions, but his ability to teach practical methods was subpar.

If you take the class just try to squeeze as much out of it as possible.  I'm using the powersource books and have so far found them to be very helpful.

gl

codyl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
Kaplan class is not good for those trying to score in 170s+.  The class I am in reviews the most basic lsat material and the teacher tells the students to go over harder problems at home.  I got a lot more out of the powerscore bibles to be honest.  Kaplan just provides explanations for why answers are right/wrong on the lsat (which you could eventually figure out on your own given enough time) but does not provide a system for arriving correctly at answers in a fast and methodical way like powerscore does.

Luckie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
I think the course has a lot of good insight, but I didn't get a lot of help as to why I was getting answers wrong. I need a little more attention than the class could give. But the online workshops that they have, really break down ALL types of LSAT questions. It was a really good reference tool.

I think it can be good, but I do recommend working REALLY hard outside of class, going WAY beyond what they require. But maybe to not do TOO much studying the day of the class... I got real burnt out because the classes were long, and the material sometimes gets dense.

CanadianForFall09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
Kaplan class is not good for those trying to score in 170s+.  The class I am in reviews the most basic lsat material and the teacher tells the students to go over harder problems at home.  I got a lot more out of the powerscore bibles to be honest.  Kaplan just provides explanations for why answers are right/wrong on the lsat (which you could eventually figure out on your own given enough time) but does not provide a system for arriving correctly at answers in a fast and methodical way like powerscore does.

I took a Kaplan course as well. I agree with this somewhat, but I still thought the course was well worth it. I was in the 170's by the second test, and I still managed to learn from the material. You just need to realize getting a question right is not the same as understanding something, and that there are layers to understanding. I mean is that quite often I knew how the question should be understood but their way gave me another way to look at it. The more layers of understanding you have the better. Also there is some decent material in their stratosphere stuff that is actually quite effective. The bottom line is that despite the negative association with Kaplan it isn't as bad as it is made out to be.

Lastly, the logic games bible is useful and should definitely be used.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
Has anyone had a positive experience with Kaplan? Everything I have seen here is negative. Unfortunately, Kaplan is the only prep course available in my area. I've signed up for the Kaplan Extreme LSAT course. Any suggestions for how to get the most out of the Kaplan program? I will be supplementing my study with the Bibles.

Good for basics. Don't sign up though if you want a score over a 165.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

ChiGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
I took the Extreme Course too.

I agree with what EdinTally said in his/her thread.

I honestly wished I worked harder outside the class.  Really, you get what you give.

My teacher wasn't that stellar either.

Definitely squeeze all you can out of the course. Take advantage of the instructor's help, etc.

I still have all my books and am making use of them on my own this second time around.

strive05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Hey Craving Oyer,
I've had some success.  I'm taking the Extreme course. Took a diagnostic at 151 and just a 165 yesterday and feel like I'm still improving.  But I agree with the above post that it's all about how much work you put in.  And don't bite for some of their bogus techniques - at some point you have to trust yourself.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
Hey Craving Oyer,
I've had some success.  I'm taking the Extreme course. Took a diagnostic at 151 and just a 165 yesterday and feel like I'm still improving.  But I agree with the above post that it's all about how much work you put in.  And don't bite for some of their bogus techniques - at some point you have to trust yourself.

Congrats on the improvement!
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

strive05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:05 AM »
Thanks! How's your prep coming?