Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addendum(b)  (Read 1093 times)

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Addendum(b)
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »
I was wondering if I should include an addendum to explain my bad first semester when I got a 2.8 as a biology major. I currently have a 3.62, which isn't horrible, but it isn't reflective of my capabilities as a student either. If I need to write an addendum, what would be a good way of presenting my poor grades without making myself look bad?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Addendum(b)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »
Do you have a good reason for that semester (besides it being the first one, because  common for people to do somewhat poorly freshman year).  Did you change your major after that semester?  If you did, you could always say that bio just wasn't the right major for you, and you realized that right away and they should look at your current grades as representative of your ability.  I don't think you can do anything to show them that 3.62 isn't reflective of your capabilities, unless you have a legit reason why.  Any one can just say that...and it won't help :)
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
Yeah, I changed my major entirely, from biology to Industrial + Labor Relations. I don't have a good reason for doing poorly. It was really the result of too much partying and not enough studying/attending class. I guess I didn't realize how seriously I needed to take college, having done well in high school with little effort. Then I got a 2.8 and realized that I needed to get my act together if I ever wanted to be gainfully employed.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
I don't have a good reason for doing poorly. It was really the result of too much partying and not enough studying/attending class. I guess I didn't realize how seriously I needed to take college, having done well in high school with little effort.

You and me both  :P

Seriously though, I also have a lower GPA, and one thing that I did was find the average GPA for my major.  I happen to  be below the average GPA for my school, which looks bad I'm sure, but I'm writing an addendum because I am above the average GPA for my major.  It wouldn't hurt for you to find this out (and if your school is anything like mine, the bureaucracy will mean it'll take you a while to find it out, so start looking now!) just in case you are above the average GPA and you can ask them to look at your grades in the context of your major and your upward grade trend.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to look into finding out that information. It seems like a good way of trying to excuse my grades without making myself look worse. 

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »
If your GPA in our major is significantly higher than your overall GPA, make sure you list it in your resume as well.
Best of luck to everyone!

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
my major GPA is ~3.9 vs. my regular GPA at 3.62. is that discrepancy big enough to list on my resume?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »
my major GPA is ~3.9 vs. my regular GPA at 3.62. is that discrepancy big enough to list on my resume?

Yea...I have a 3.83 degree, 3.53 UGPA.  I wrote an addendum and I think it was essential.  I plan on writing another addendum when I apply this cycle.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »

Definitely
When you put down your college under the education heading, follow it with:
GPA: 3.62, Major GPA: 3.9 (or whatever it is exactly)
Awards, etc
Best of luck to everyone!