Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much do summer associates make?  (Read 12058 times)

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much do summer associates make?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
mqt is wrong.

Chances are there are dozens of firms in your state with programs that range from $1100/wk-2000/wk with non-Vault firms.

YBR - other than searching martindale, how can I research non-nalp and non-vault firms of this size in my market?

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »
"Unlike what most people on this board think, BigLaw is not the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of good mid-size firms out there that that have 50-150 lawyers and pay six figures (or close to it)."

Definitely.  The firm just has to have the right clients (i.e., big money corporations).  Jorden Burt in DC pays $2788/wk to 2L SAs (and correspondingly $145k to 1st year assocs).  It has somewhere between 50-100 lawyers too, and would therefore be classified as midlaw.     

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:21:37 PM »
"Dozens" of non-Vault firms in a state that pay upwards $2k/wk for a summer position?  Interesting.  I'm only familiar with the NYC and Chi markets, and to a lesser extent the DC and LA markets. What markets have dozens of non-Vault firms paying first years $104k/year?

As I qualified in my initial response, my figures assumed the poster was "asking about the conventional definition of 'summer associate,' i.e., a law student working between 2L and 3L (or 1L summer if exceptional) at a major, multi-office law firm, or at least at a firm with a large office." 

Galt gave a good working definition of how summer associates are paid: "Summers get paid the same salary as first year associates pro-rated for 10 or 12 weeks."  But even that definition assumes that we are talking about a "summer associate" properly so called. 

Many non-Vault firms that employ people for their pre-3L summer call such students "summer clerks," and many (if not most), regardless of their job title do not pay those individuals the same as new associates (and certainly don't wine and dine them all summer).  At many such firms, after graduation, they return to work at the firm (often during bar prep) - at their pre-3L summer pay rate - until they receive passing results and are sworn into the bar, at which point their pay goes up (albeit, in most cases, nominally) to their "first year associate" rate.

First of all, you are a giant feminine hygiene product. Secondly, you stated that you are only familiar with NY, CHI, DC and LA markets, yet you come up with some ridiculous generalizations about non-Vault firms and their employment practices. Way to show your idiocracy.

In any event, since you asked for markets that have non-Vault firms (many called "Mid-Law") that pay between the $1100-2000/wk range to their summers, here's a list that I'm familiar with (Mainly the South):

Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami...should I list more?

Also, many of the firms in these markets pay more than 2K a week for summers. And why don't I list every firm name? Because it would take me several days to compile the list. Most firms aren't "Vault" firms, and yet they still pay a good rate. But you knew that right? With your generalizations and everything..... ::)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
Generally speaking, the AMLAW 250 is a pretty good (but not comprehensive) list of firms with SA programs.

Vault is pretty under-inclusive. It also has a fairly strong east coast bias, so some very big (market paying) firms in secondary markets get left out.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Wow.  And I thought I was being snarky (toward the OP)! 

So now I'm a feminine hygiene product and an idiot...

Honestly, I chose the firm at which I'm now starting as an associate primarily because of its reputation for not hiring students whose first impulses and comments include "you're a feminine hygiene product" and "you idiot."  That it also paid me $3,100/wk last summer, and will now allow me to start my career near the top of the heap, those were just bonuses. 

Whether I stay and become a partner and my present firm, go in-house or move to a mid-sized firm, I likely won't find myself working in "Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, or Miami."  But one never knows (with a spouse who's a doctor, we might end up in one of those places.)  What I do know is that, as with my current choice of where to practice law, I won't be at a place that would suit anyone who would spend his or her Sunday afternoon anonymously hurling aspersions at someone who, for the most part, simply tried to answer a new 1L's question.

Has LSD turned into the Autoadmit for lower ranked schools and MidLaw?  There's nothing wrong with either attending a low ranked school or practicing at a non-Vault (Vault being a silly measure anyways; see Chambers for a meaningful ranking system) or even a non-Nalp firm.  I have friends and family who did/do both and, as noted, I would not rule out practicing at a mid-size firm (or smaller) one day.  But again, as with the attorneys at my current firm, those I know from low ranked schools and the MidLaw world have never struck me as Autoadmit types. 

Good luck to you.

"Dozens" of non-Vault firms in a state that pay upwards $2k/wk for a summer position?  Interesting.  I'm only familiar with the NYC and Chi markets, and to a lesser extent the DC and LA markets. What markets have dozens of non-Vault firms paying first years $104k/year?

As I qualified in my initial response, my figures assumed the poster was "asking about the conventional definition of 'summer associate,' i.e., a law student working between 2L and 3L (or 1L summer if exceptional) at a major, multi-office law firm, or at least at a firm with a large office." 

Galt gave a good working definition of how summer associates are paid: "Summers get paid the same salary as first year associates pro-rated for 10 or 12 weeks."  But even that definition assumes that we are talking about a "summer associate" properly so called. 

Many non-Vault firms that employ people for their pre-3L summer call such students "summer clerks," and many (if not most), regardless of their job title do not pay those individuals the same as new associates (and certainly don't wine and dine them all summer).  At many such firms, after graduation, they return to work at the firm (often during bar prep) - at their pre-3L summer pay rate - until they receive passing results and are sworn into the bar, at which point their pay goes up (albeit, in most cases, nominally) to their "first year associate" rate.

First of all, you are a giant feminine hygiene product. Secondly, you stated that you are only familiar with NY, CHI, DC and LA markets, yet you come up with some ridiculous generalizations about non-Vault firms and their employment practices. Way to show your idiocracy.

In any event, since you asked for markets that have non-Vault firms (many called "Mid-Law") that pay between the $1100-2000/wk range to their summers, here's a list that I'm familiar with (Mainly the South):

Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami...should I list more?

Also, many of the firms in these markets pay more than 2K a week for summers. And why don't I list every firm name? Because it would take me several days to compile the list. Most firms aren't "Vault" firms, and yet they still pay a good rate. But you knew that right? With your generalizations and everything..... ::)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! 

;D

Personally, I am sooooooo thankful for my Wachtell offer and hedge fund manager spouse. I get to start out at 320k with bonus as a nice suppliment to our household income of $2M a year. It's just good to know that I can start life out in the top .001% of income worldwide. Of course, there is nothing wrong with subsistence farming. In fact, many of my friends say they could also one day become subsistence farmers once they get tired of their highly paid professional jobs.

To the OP: Remember, there are only two Biglaw firms: Wachtell & Cravath. All others are TTT.

Oh yeah, everyone except me is a health product of some sort.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?