Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much do summer associates make?  (Read 11737 times)

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How much do summer associates make?
« on: August 23, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
Just starting 1L. Bored. Curious.

mtfbwy

• View Profile
Re: How much do summer associates make?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
1) Hmm..."1L" and "bored"...not two terms one normally thinks of at the same time.

2) As for summer associate $, as you obviously have Internet access, try this neat site called "Google."  (Enter "big law firm summer associate salary," or "NALP.")

3) If you remain in the state described in #1, and are unsuccessful at #2, just know that the going rate in the major markets is around $3,100/wk.  In secondary markets, (with some exceptions) it's around $2,800ish. 

The above assumes you're asking about the conventional definition of "summer associate," i.e., a law student working between 2L and 3L (or 1L summer if exceptional) at a major, multi-office law firm, or at least at a firm with a large office. 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
Summers get paid the same salary as first year associates pro-rated for 10 or 12 weeks.
YLS c/o 2009

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:11:44 PM »
And if you don't make Biglaw SA programs, you'll make between $15-25 per hour. 

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
"Dozens" of non-Vault firms in a state that pay upwards $2k/wk for a summer position?  Interesting.  I'm only familiar with the NYC and Chi markets, and to a lesser extent the DC and LA markets. What markets have dozens of non-Vault firms paying first years $104k/year?

As I qualified in my initial response, my figures assumed the poster was "asking about the conventional definition of 'summer associate,' i.e., a law student working between 2L and 3L (or 1L summer if exceptional) at a major, multi-office law firm, or at least at a firm with a large office." 

Galt gave a good working definition of how summer associates are paid: "Summers get paid the same salary as first year associates pro-rated for 10 or 12 weeks."  But even that definition assumes that we are talking about a "summer associate" properly so called. 

Many non-Vault firms that employ people for their pre-3L summer call such students "summer clerks," and many (if not most), regardless of their job title do not pay those individuals the same as new associates (and certainly don't wine and dine them all summer).  At many such firms, after graduation, they return to work at the firm (often during bar prep) - at their pre-3L summer pay rate - until they receive passing results and are sworn into the bar, at which point their pay goes up (albeit, in most cases, nominally) to their "first year associate" rate.

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
mtfbwy - YellowBrickRoad is 100% correct. In my market there are literally dozens of firms that pay $1500-$2400 a week and hire between 2 and 20 summer associates.

Unlike what most people on this board think, BigLaw is not the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of good mid-size firms out there that that have 50-150 lawyers and pay six figures (or close to it).

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
What market?  What firms? 

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »
NJ. There are at least 30 firms that pay in the $1500-$2400 range.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
If only there was a searchable database with information about how much firms pay summers, how many they hire, and how many attorneys are at their offices...

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »