Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Difficulty of Courses Affecting Employment Prospects?  (Read 533 times)

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Difficulty of Courses Affecting Employment Prospects?
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
I know that the general advice is that so-called "bar" courses should not be taken for purposes of passing the bar.

What about for purposes of demonstrating to potential employers that you are competent in key fields or difficult subject matter?  I'm at a law school where I could literally take what I consider fluffy courses for the next two years -- and I bet my GPA would be pretty fluffy as a result.  Can employers see through this, or is it really just a GPA/Rank game?
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty of Courses Affecting Employment Prospects?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »
If you are doing biglaw, then it really does not matter, your grades are what they are. Otherwise, I think the answer largely depends on who you are seeking employment with.

All other things being equal I would go for the higher GPA. It can be hard to determine what the "hard" courses are in some cases.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

h2xblive

Re: Difficulty of Courses Affecting Employment Prospects?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
Maybe taking more "difficult" courses would impress employers, but I would think there are several factors in course selection that are more important: taking classes for the bar, boosting your GPA, and taking classes in areas you think you'll end up practicing in.