Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Socratic method = russian roulette?  (Read 7544 times)

JBrien

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Socratic method = russian roulette?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
You guys have to relax…  I remember how important it seemed first year of law school, but in reality the socratic method (and further class discussion) is valued very little in terms of your grades (at most law schools). 

The goal is not necessarily to get the correct answer to the question.  When you start practicing law (and if you practice litigation) you will be required to make arguments that are incorrect, or weak, but they remain the only ammunition you have to advocate your client’s case.

Thus, the socratic method classroom is setup to get you to argue a position…  so when you get called on take a position and act like it is 100% correct, and defend your position.  People respond to confident body language and vocal tones.

Take some comfort in the following facts about the Socratic method:

-It doesn’t matter what you say.
-Everyone in the class will say something stupid at least once.
-The person that speaks the most and seems the most confident is probably not going to do well on the exams.  (This is a personal observation of  my law school classmates.)
-The goal is to make you analyze, state a position, and think on your feet.
-A relaxed mind is a quick mind.
-Never let anyone see you sweat, always answer a question confidently (half of the students probably aren’t listening anyway so unless you start hemming and hawing the other students will remain in zombie mode.)

I hope this helps read through the below link for more information.

http://www.become-a-lawyer.com/Socratic-Method.html

sollicitus

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
The poster posted it in 2008. They either failed out or are long past graduated.

Dead thread.

If anyone cares: Always be prepared=who cares.

If the dumb kid cries when called on, it's because he is dumb. Don't be the dumb kid.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:29 AM »
It seems like everyone finds this method to be something awful. I find it refreshing, it's a great mind exercise and for a lawyer it's definitely really important. A good lawyer has to think fast and be confident in what he/she says.