Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does undergraduate major limit law career options?  (Read 730 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Does undergraduate major limit law career options?
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:57:13 AM »
Withstanding patent law which generally requires a background in the sciences/engineering, are law jobs limited by one's undergraduate degree and major? 

For instance, can an individual with a philosophy degree still find work in securities law?  Are those individuals with finance/econ backgrounds given priority, or does it just come down to law school grades? 

I'm asking because I studied humanities in university (although I took 5 finance courses for a business requirement), but I would like to try to work in the financial sector after law school. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does undergraduate major limit law career options?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
If it was an absolute tie with you and another candidate they may go with the finance/econ person over you, but I doubt it would preclude you from getting into securities.  Take electives in law school in Securities law.  Also, my school offered finance for lawyers and accounting for lawyers which would help when such doubts are raised in an interview.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure this depends on what law school you go to. A guy with a philosophy major coming out of HYS will get whatever job he wants, in whatever sector he wants. Once you get down to a lower-ranked school, maybe a Brooklyn Law School or a Cardozo for example, the guy with the philosophy background will probably lose out to someone from a peer school who has a finance/econ background (note that "background" also includes work experience and interests, not just UG major).

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
Withstanding patent law which generally requires a background in the sciences/engineering, are law jobs limited by one's undergraduate degree and major? 

For instance, can an individual with a philosophy degree still find work in securities law?  Are those individuals with finance/econ backgrounds given priority, or does it just come down to law school grades? 

I'm asking because I studied humanities in university (although I took 5 finance courses for a business requirement), but I would like to try to work in the financial sector after law school. 

You mentioned that you were from Ryerson U right?

Where are you applying?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »
So far there are only three schools I am CERTAIN that I will apply to: Cornell, Northwestern, and Fordham.  I am from New York, and I would like to stay in New York after law school.  Fordham accepted me last year, but I decided I would like to try to get into Cornell and Northwestern this year.  For me, that means retaking the LSAT.  I have a 166 and a 3.53 UGPA (3.83 degree - bad first year at a SUNY school; no transfer credits though).  I was waitlisted at Cornell last year, and I think that a 170 in October would nudge me into Cornell or Northwestern.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »
So far there are only three schools I am CERTAIN that I will apply to: Cornell, Northwestern, and Fordham.  I am from New York, and I would like to stay in New York after law school.  Fordham accepted me last year, but I decided I would like to try to get into Cornell and Northwestern this year.  For me, that means retaking the LSAT.  I have a 166 and a 3.53 UGPA (3.83 degree - bad first year at a SUNY school; no transfer credits though).  I was waitlisted at Cornell last year, and I think that a 170 in October would nudge me into Cornell or Northwestern.

Good for you dude. Good luck.

I have a few cousins who were admitted into Harvard, Yale and Cornell.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
Your undergrad major won't really preclude you from specialty areas in the law. What you should do is make sure you take specialty courses while in law school. Schools like Cornell and Northwestern will have classes in securities law that you should take and ask a securities law professor about what other courses you should take. There should also be an upper level legal writing course in securities law that you should also take to differentiate yourself. At my law school, there is a securities law writing course that is offered every other professor. I know many students who were able to publish their paper in law journals.