Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: when should LOR be sent?  (Read 1937 times)

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
when should LOR be sent?
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
I know who is doing my recommendations, and I should have the forms and info sent to them on Monday.  But my question is how long should I tell them they have to send them?  I am hoping to get in my apps by mid-October and one of them is absolutely due by Nov. 1.  So, when should the people send them in, considering LSAC having to process them?

Thanks!
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: when should LOR be sent?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
Have them fax the recommendation in whenever it is ready. It takes less than a day during off-peak season, about 1-2 days during peak season, to process a faxed letter. It takes from 7-15 business days to process a mailed letter. Fax, fax, fax!

(The fax number is: 215-504-1444. Make sure they also send the cover letter with your signature!)

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
Have them fax the recommendation in whenever it is ready. It takes less than a day during off-peak season, about 1-2 days during peak season, to process a faxed letter. It takes from 7-15 business days to process a mailed letter. Fax, fax, fax!

(The fax number is: 215-504-1444. Make sure they also send the cover letter with your signature!)

Ah, sounds good!  Thanks.
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
Heartbreaker,

PLEASE i need your help on this. quick question.

i was going to have my recommenders mail it in. IF i choose to have them mail it in how the hell do i do it? do i gie them the materials in 2 envelopes- 1 for them and 1 for the mailing? do i prepay postage it? im not sure how this works.

IF i have them fax it, what's the process other than "just fax it in" and having a cover letter? is it really just that easy?

what are the cons to faxing it? it seems so easy that im wondering why most ppl dont just fax it in and ive been noticing most mailing it.

thank you so much!

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »
Heartbreaker,

PLEASE i need your help on this. quick question.

i was going to have my recommenders mail it in. IF i choose to have them mail it in how the hell do i do it? do i gie them the materials in 2 envelopes- 1 for them and 1 for the mailing? do i prepay postage it? im not sure how this works.

IF i have them fax it, what's the process other than "just fax it in" and having a cover letter? is it really just that easy?

what are the cons to faxing it? it seems so easy that im wondering why most ppl dont just fax it in and ive been noticing most mailing it.

thank you so much!

If you're having them mail the rec, give a stamped envelope, addressed with the LSAC address, ATTN: LSDAS Letter of Recommendation Service. I'm not sure why you would need two envelopes. One will do. Make sure they send the LSAC cover sheet!

There really are no cons to faxing. Most people don't do it because they don't know about it. One of my recommenders faxed it in and it was processed in about two hours. Depends on what's easiest for the person writing your rec!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
Cheers for the confirmation. I had heard rumors of being able to fax, but I had only seen one person say it and wasn't sure if they were just trying to trick people (why they would do this I'm not sure) so thanks again for confirming

J.J. Gittes

• Fight On, State.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - luvshoops3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »

is this cover letter of which you speak different than the letter of recommendation form? in other words, if we're faxing it in, we just need the letter of recommendation form and the letter itself?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
Yes, the letter of recommendation form with your recommender's info and letter code.