Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with LOR Options  (Read 913 times)

sharpy

• View Profile
Help with LOR Options
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »
I've been out of school for 3+ years and spent my senior year studying abroad in a developing country, so it has been four years since I've taken a class at my university.  On top of that most of my classes were lectures with 150+ students, so I did not develop any relationships with professors.  So at this point I'm not very optimistic about my LOR options, but any advice would be appreciated.  As I see it these are my three options:

1. My boss for the last 1.5 years.  From what I've read it's better to have academic LORs than work ones, but my boss is a former professor and I work in social science research, so it seems quasi-academic.  He also knows me best and would be able to write a very good letter.

2. One or two professors from 4+ years ago.  There are a couple of professors I could contact, though I doubt they would remember anything about me.  Ironically, I received a C from the one professor that got to know me at all, so I am not planning on contacting him.  Nevertheless I could see sending my info to a few professors and getting two average to poor LORs here.

3. One or two professors from 3+ years ago from abroad.  The classes I took abroad were smaller and the professors knew me better because of I was one of the only Americans there.  One of the professors there is very distinguished in his country, though I don't know if that would help any.  I could see getting two decent to good letters here.  However, given LSAC signature requirements, etc. it seems like a major hassle to get LORs from abroad.

At this point I think I'll try for one from each category, assuming I can get a letter from abroad.  If not it looks like I will have to make do with #1 and #2.  Again, any advice would be appreciated.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help with LOR Options
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
Lord of the Rings (LOR) options?

I'd say, go with Boromir. He's got a bone trumpet, and that's just cool.. Plus he dies... can't get any more low maintenance than that.

Stay away from that Legolas, you'll have to buy him flowers every week.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
Seriously though, as far as academic references are concerned, approach only those profs from whom you received an A- or better.

Also, it really doesn't matter if they remember you or not. Ask if they will schedule a meeting with you to discuss your ambitions, goals, academic career, etc. (This is what I did)

Just be sure to bring a few writing samples and your cv so they can assess your academic potential on a more objective basis.

Work references are always good, but limit them to one. Academic references are far more valuable to adcoms if they're obtainable.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »

3. One or two professors from 3+ years ago from abroad.  The classes I took abroad were smaller and the professors knew me better because of I was one of the only Americans there.  One of the professors there is very distinguished in his country, though I don't know if that would help any.  I could see getting two decent to good letters here.  However, given LSAC signature requirements, etc. it seems like a major hassle to get LORs from abroad.

I don't know what country you were in, but make sure they write well in English.  It won't help you much if the adcomms can barely understand what they're trying to say :P  It shouldn't be a problem w/LSAC, just send the recommender that form that you have to download along with an envelope/postage to get it back to LSAC
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.