Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To any UVA Law Students?  (Read 2546 times)

MattW21

• View Profile
To any UVA Law Students?
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »
Hi I was just wondering what your GPA/LSAT and Undergrad Courses were to get admitted into Virginia. I graduated from FSU Magna Cum Laude with a 3.87, most of my undergrad courses were in History and Communications. I scored a 166 on the LSATS.

I'm fairly confident that I would/will get in. Any feedback from current/former students would be very appreciated and helpful.

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
Re: To any UVA Law Students?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
hourumd.com and lawschoolcalculator.com are helpful, as is, for some schools, the LSAC calculator.

Unless you're in-state, or you're writing from Beijing, I wouldn't be quite that confident.  Hourumd puts your chances at UVa at 18%.  That is, students with approximately your numbers are 16-70

The LSAC calculator puts it at ~35-40, but that includes URMs, in-staters, etc. 

A retake isn't necessary, but it might not be a bad idea.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »
Hi I was just wondering what your GPA/LSAT and Undergrad Courses were to get admitted into Virginia. I graduated from FSU Magna Cum Laude with a 3.87, most of my undergrad courses were in History and Communications. I scored a 166 on the LSATS.

I'm fairly confident that I would/will get in. Any feedback from current/former students would be very appreciated and helpful.

Well I'm not a UVA law student, but I was admitted to Virgina. 3.87/169/Philosophy + Poly Sci double major/major fellowship.
YLS c/o 2009

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »
Haven't posted here in a while.

I've been a UVa student for about 5 days now, and I can honestly (and I think objectively) say that next to HYS, UVA is the best law school in the country.  If you feel that you are a well-rounded, social person, you would be very silly not to come here.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »

I've been a UVa student for about 5 days now, and I can honestly (and I think objectively) say that next to HYS, UVA is the best law school in the country.  If you feel that you are a well-rounded, social person, you would be very silly not to come here.

lol
YLS c/o 2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »

Thanks. You definitely answered my question (sarcasm).

Yeah I did an excellent job of addressing your unnecessary ego-inflating question (sarcasm).

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »
I was admitted to UVa two years ago with a 3.91/168 (average).  I was a history major and had minors in geography and education but also had a MS in education.  In addition, I was a non-traditional student coming into UVa with prior work experience, including 4 years in the military. 

Although I have no idea of how outstanding your "soft factors" are, with the new ABA policy of only requiring schools to report the highest LSAT score, I would certainly considering retaking if you think you can do better than a 166. 

Also with regard to the scholarship question, I did receive a decent scholarship even with my mediocre scores.

HTH.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »

Thanks. You definitely answered my question (sarcasm).

Yeah I did an excellent job of addressing your unnecessary ego-inflating question (sarcasm).

Just trying to get clarification on a subject that I haven't been able to find much information about.  UVa's website doesn't talk much about scholarships and I assumed that a UVa would have some sort of knowledge about those things.  I don't see how that's ego inflation.  I wasn't bragging about anything, just wanted to know what to expect.

Also, Bob, how's Phyllis? I haven't seen her all summer.

haha. she's doing well.  my lucrative entrepreneurship affords us many pleasures.

oh and to OP:  if you want to get into UVa, assuming you havent done anything really amazing (i'm straight from UG and was a liberal arts major-- I am not impressive), you may want to consider early decision.  otherwise, i think you will be looking at a try-to-get-in-off-the-waitlist type situation.  I was wait listed and I used my ability as a softball player to aid in gaining admission (half-kidding)

jawilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »
I am a current UVA law student and I was able to get in with a 4.0 and 166 LSAT.  I will say that I had an advantage of being instate but it is possible. 

I had to make the choice between a 96K scholarship from Emory and UVA with no scholarship and instate tuition (5K a year) and I decided to go to UVA and I love it.  I had a really long talk with career services about accumulating 160K in debt and how well I would be able to pay it off and they put my mind at ease.

By the way I prefer mixed drinks to beer and I also suck horribly at softball and ... but everyone is still very supportive.
UVA Law Class of 2011 !!!
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jawilliamson