Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances?  (Read 1558 times)

shonnie

• MSN Messenger - yh342@nyu.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xshonniex
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are my chances?
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
 I've been on edge about this whole law school application process as the time nears for my first and hopefully only LSAT i'll be taking in October. I graduated from NYU last may and am working as a compliance analyst at LG (insurance sector). What do you think are my chances to get into the top 20~25 schools with a gpa of 3.5 (on LSAC, but with an upward shift since I switched majors-receiving 4.0 after such change). I am getting around mid to high 160s on my practice tests and hopefully will be able to get around 5~10 more points on these until the test date. I also was a undergrad TA in psychology during my senior year of college and decided to take a year off to make sure "law school" was my best career choice.
With what LSAT score should I be confident of securing a seat in schools like: GWU, Notre Dame, U Wash, USC, etc?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
I have a 3.53 UGPA (3,83 degree) and I scored a 166 on the June 2007 LSAT.  I applied and got accepted to Fordham, Emory, U-Miami, and Boston University (with $15,000/yr.).  You asked what your chances are at GWU, Notre Dame, U Washington, and USC.  You will need to get a 165+ to even stand a chance at any of the 4 (Washington would probably take you with 164-166).  You will probably need a 166 to get into Fordham and Notre Dame.  I think you will need a 167-168 to get into GWU (i got waitlisted -> rejected last year).  To get a look from USC you will need 169-170 (again, i was WL -> ding there last year). 

I'll be sitting the October one as well this year.  Good luck! 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

shonnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Thank you! How come you're retaking it?
Which undergraduate school did you attend, if you don't mind my asking?
Congrats on your acceptances. I feel so antsy about the whole process! I'm still scoring around a 168 on my diagnostics.. but I only took about 4. Ugh, so gruesome.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
I'm not really familiar with American law school requirements (at least for specific schools), but presumably your chances are good. Just make sure you review the newer LSAT preptests.

A 168 diagnotic on older LSATs doesnt really count for much, nor will it be an accurate indication of your score in October.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
Thales is absolutely correct in advising you to focus on newer tests.  The LSAT has changed so dramatically over the last 10 years that you will be unpleasantly surprised in October.  Get the latest 10 and work through those.  I wouldn't take a test earlier than 2000. 

For undergrad I attended Ryerson University in Toronto. 

I am retaking because I would like to take another stab at a getting accepted to a few schools.  For me, it's worth a shot.  Don't get too nervous about the application process.  Instead, try to just keep your eye on the ball and get your apps in early (October/early November).

Take as many preptests as possible!  Good luck.

shonnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
Thank you for the kind responses!
I actually took 2 newer tests and I scored 167. Do you think most people do worse on the real thing? I try to position myself in the most uncomfortable and boring areas (public library) for these preptests. I know that the schools show the range of their 25~75% for both GPA and LSAT, but do they calculate this based on which school you went to? For example, if you received a 3.5 from NYU would that be put into consideration versus a candidate from, for example, Depaul who received a 4.0?
170's my goal but i have 3 weeks! hopefully, 3~5 points will come soon enough.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
Your UG school is a small factor in the equation. If you can get over the 170 hump you may be good to go at most fo your choices. The main thing to remember is if you dont feel it about a week out or so then push the date back, especially if you only wanna do it once. With a degree from NYU I would not just settle on a LS, cause im sure your job prospects and advancement prospects are pretty good. have you looked at LSN at all to see where people got into with your GPA and test range. And from waht i have heard and read the majority do worse on test day than the minority of doing better. Some people are up for it and some people just are not. Good luck to you though.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
If you score 168+ and apply EA, you will most likely get into Cornell.  If you want to work in NYC after school, that is a great school to attend.

Leverandon

• AOL Instant Messenger - NadoSteve
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »
I agree with most of this thread, however I strongly disagree about focusing only on the newer tests... the differences between the LSATs in the last 10-12 years are nominal. My understanding is the "focus on the newer ones" thing is a myth perpetrated by prep companies who don't want to shell out the cash to get the rights to all of the LSATs. In reality, you need to practice every real test you can possibly get your hands on to get over a 170, especially the logic games. To start with, you should buy all three collections (10 Actual Official..., 10 More..., The Next 10...) as well as the Super Prep (which as 3 more) and do every Logic Game....and then do them again...and if you have time...again... The difference in recent years on the LSAT is a matter of curving (slightly less emphasis on LG, more on RC) not on content. To master the LGs you need to do them all.

1lstudent

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:21 AM »
If you are scoring in the high 160s-170s, you should only be looking at t-14 schools.  With those scores, you should be aiming for Cornell, NYU, Columbia-not Notre Dame and the other schools you mentioned.