Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reasonable PS Timeline?  (Read 807 times)

Arsenio Billingham

• View Profile
Reasonable PS Timeline?
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site, but I'm working on a personal statement and I was hoping I could get some help in terms of understanding my timeline so that I can try to set a strict due date for myself.  When do you all hope to have your statements completed?  My goal is to have all my apps in by early October.  Will this give me a good shot, or should I try to move the timeline up to September? 

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reasonable PS Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
I think time is more of an issue when you're comparing between September and January. Even then, it doesn't make a HUGE difference. That said, a lot of apps aren't even accepted until October 1st, so you're safe along the timeline you have now. Be more worried about the quality than getting it out two or three weeks sooner.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »
I agree.  I applied early to all schools and they didn't even start reviewing until January.  With the exception of some early action schools, submitting this early is way overrated.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »
Worry about your LORs instead. It doesn't matter how early your PS is in if your LORs aren't ready yet. It can take two months from when you ask someone to write one for it to get to law schools (counting time for your recommender to write it plus time for LSAC to process it and get it to law schools) - plenty of time to write a PS.
Best of luck to everyone!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
I agree.  I applied early to all schools and they didn't even start reviewing until January.  With the exception of some early action schools, submitting this early is way overrated.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, generally. It is a huge advantage to apply on the first day possible.
YLS c/o 2009

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:14 PM »

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, generally. It is a huge advantage to apply on the first day possible.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that from September to October there won't be an enormous difference. September to January, yeah. But he/she should worry more about quality than three weeks difference.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Sure, rolling basis but most schools won't start looking at the apps until Spring.  I thought the way you do too,just see!