Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cocktail reception attire?  (Read 5240 times)

yanksfan2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cocktail reception attire?
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »
I am attending a cocktail reception for a firm that I will be interviewing with during OCI.  The reception begins at 6:00 p.m, and will be held at the firm's office.  I assume proper attire would be a suit, but just wanted to get make sure.  Any thoughts?    

antsor5

• View Profile
Re: Cocktail reception attire?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
I am attending a cocktail reception for a firm that I will be interviewing with during OCI.  The reception begins at 6:00 p.m, and will be held at the firm's office.  I assume proper attire would be a suit, but just wanted to get make sure.  Any thoughts?    

wear a suit.

ste.bones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »
What about for females? I was told business attire but there is a whisper in the back of my mind of 'cocktail dress'...

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:16 AM »
What about for females? I was told business attire but there is a whisper in the back of my mind of 'cocktail dress'...

No.

LOL.

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
wear business attire

ste.bones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »
I look so much better in a damn dress... ah well. Thanks for the confirmation :)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
I look so much better in a damn dress... ah well. Thanks for the confirmation :)

A modest, business casual dress or a blouse and tasteful skirt should be fine for most firms. Most of the attendees from the law firm will be going straight from their offices and few firms actually require suits day to day anymore. You'll see some people in suits and some in business casual. If you have to be the most conservatively dressed person there, wear a suit. However, no one will judge you for not wearing something with a jacket if you wear otherwise tasteful business attire.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:23 AM »

A modest, business casual dress or a blouse and tasteful skirt should be fine for most firms. Most of the attendees from the law firm will be going straight from their offices and few firms actually require suits day to day anymore. You'll see some people in suits and some in business casual. If you have to be the most conservatively dressed person there, wear a suit. However, no one will judge you for not wearing something with a jacket if you wear otherwise tasteful business attire.

Agreed.  But I'd definitely stay away from a cocktail dress.  Very bad idea.