Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's everyone's 1st day of 1L?  (Read 2552 times)

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How's everyone's 1st day of 1L?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »
Interesting. Well I'm sure it'll be good to have someone's thoughts on how to do it, but it's definitely not something to worry about (not that you were). Especially when the assignments for LRW begin. It's graded for you guys right?

What's a 4L?

A 4th year law student.  4L's can include part timers and joint degrees. (the person I'm talking about is a joint degree-er)

huhwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
Briefing is a waste of time.  Take notes in the margins of your books so you can easily find information if you are called on in class.  Briefing doesn't help- it is the outline that you need to spend your time on.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »
Briefing is a waste of time.  Take notes in the margins of your books so you can easily find information if you are called on in class.  Briefing doesn't help- it is the outline that you need to spend your time on.

Well 3 days into school I'm not going to stop listening to the advice of all my professors to continue to do briefs.  At least right now it helps me organize the case in my mind and helps me remember things.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »
Brief as long as you feel the need to.  Once you find that you're hitting most of the key facts, the main points of reasoning, and the holding down, I'd make the jump to bookbriefing + decent reading notes.

I briefed until midway through first semester, and stopped when I felt comfortable.  It's important not to get too bogged down in briefing, and remember that it's only one tool.  If you feel you're benefiting, keep doing it.  Once I jumped to book briefing, I still took pretty detailed reading notes in outline form (pulling rules and main concepts from the cases and notes), and combined with my classnotes, it was comprehensive and easy to turn into an outline.  That worked for me pretty well, so take it FWIW.

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
I'll admit it. I briefed throughout law school. I found it helpful, and I got pretty efficient at it by the end of 1L. If nothing else, my briefs created an instant outline, and I spent more time learning the law and applying it on practice tests than I did actually making the outline. If you think briefing is helping you learn the law, keep doing it. If not, stop.

huhwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »
I'll admit it. I briefed throughout law school. I found it helpful, and I got pretty efficient at it by the end of 1L. If nothing else, my briefs created an instant outline, and I spent more time learning the law and applying it on practice tests than I did actually making the outline. If you think briefing is helping you learn the law, keep doing it. If not, stop.

This is better reasoning that my earlier blanket "briefing sucks" statement.  Law school is all about figuring out what works for you.  If briefing works, keep doing it.  If not, find something else that works better.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »

I agree.  I think it helps me *right now* learn the law.  But at the same time, I'm not great at it, so yeah I can't speak about it THAT much as a first week 1L lol...