Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's everyone's 1st day of 1L?  (Read 2553 times)

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How's everyone's 1st day of 1L?
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »
Mine was yesterday and I was at the law school until it closed :/

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How's everyone's 1st day of 1L?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »
Mine was yesterday and I was at the law school until it closed :/

Why?  Isnt' it only orientation day?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
Yeah, what the deuce?

My orientation was last wed-fri and classes started yesterday.  Orientation is over.. I've only been in classes 2 days and I feel like I've been in law school for 2 years.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »
Yeah, what the deuce?

My orientation was last wed-fri and classes started yesterday.  Orientation is over.. I've only been in classes 2 days and I feel like I've been in law school for 2 years.

seconded. i like it though. law school is nerd heaven.

huhwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
I disagree with your picture of the Midwest.  Missouri and Iowa are definitely part of the Midwest, while Kentucky is more Southern than Midwestern.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
Did they teach you how to brief?  I would love to hear some first impressions.

They did during orientation... but you don't really know if you're doing it right/wrong until you get the hang of classes and til you get called on and stuff...  I feel like I'm doing it *okay* but I'm not positive if I am.  Tomorrow I have legal writing, where I think the professor may go over it more clearly.  I may go into a professors' office hours to ask a few clarifications on doing them.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »
Really?  Didn't months of reading this website do anything for your understanding?

Rock on, greenie.  It's so surreal to be 1Ls.  It seems like just yesterday that we were 0Ls.

No this website did not tell you how to brief and inherently understand the law.  Go figure.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »

They did during orientation... but you don't really know if you're doing it right/wrong until you get the hang of classes and til you get called on and stuff...  I feel like I'm doing it *okay* but I'm not positive if I am.  Tomorrow I have legal writing, where I think the professor may go over it more clearly.  I may go into a professors' office hours to ask a few clarifications on doing them.

Bolded is the beginning of hell, no joke.

I don't remember anyone teaching us how to brief. It's basically just Case Name, Facts, Holding (with some variations).  I guess it's one of those things you just figure out as you go along. 

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »

Bolded is the beginning of hell, no joke.

I don't remember anyone teaching us how to brief. It's basically just Case Name, Facts, Holding (with some variations).  I guess it's one of those things you just figure out as you go along. 

Yeah that's what I'm getting the impression of... but we're supposed to brief a case for LWR tomorrow, so I assume we'll go over that.  Plus a 4L is co-teaching my LRW class so I know I could ask him for mentor-ish advice too.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
Interesting. Well I'm sure it'll be good to have someone's thoughts on how to do it, but it's definitely not something to worry about (not that you were). Especially when the assignments for LRW begin. It's graded for you guys right?

What's a 4L?