Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apply now and defer or apply next year?  (Read 635 times)

chewger

• View Profile
    • Email
Apply now and defer or apply next year?
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
I'm slated to graduate from university with a MA in economics and BAs in philosophy & political science in May 2009, and I was planning to enter law school in Fall 2009. I've got a 172/3.6, and some decent soft factors (e.g., News/talk radio show host and department manager, Kaplan LSAT Instructor, co-authoring papers published in econ journals)

However, due to a variety of circumstances, I've decided to push back my entry date to Fall 2010. The year that I would be taking "off" would be used to continue research (have 4 papers instead of 2 in my CV, for example), do some more LSAT teaching, and prepare for law school.

I'm aiming primarily for Northwestern, UPenn, and Michigan Ann-Arbor, but generally I want to go to a Top 30 school.

Would it make more sense to apply now, get all my offers, and defer? or to simply just apply next year in fall 2009 with a slightly better app?

The one factor I imagine to be the dividing line would be the law schools becoming more stingy, or facing ever-increasing competition. I absolutely need a scholarship offer!

Thanks for your time, I know it isn't exactly the most entertaining question.

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apply now and defer or apply next year?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
If you seriously need scholarships I would wait and apply next year.  Reason being, if you are deferred you are going to be locked into a school and won't have any real bargaining power in the scholarship process.  Plus, your application may get stronger and there is nothing saying that everywhere you get in will be willing to defer you for a year.
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »
Plus your ability to get into NU and receive money from them will increase significantly with a year of work experience.

chewger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
Thanks! that helps a ton!

Where could I read about bargaining? Is it possible to leverage your offers?

Plus your ability to get into NU and receive money from them will increase significantly with a year of work experience.

Would you happen to know what kind of work experience they are looking for? Would what I have be enough? (Radio/LSAT teacher)

chewger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
Full time post-graduate work.  So assuming you did radio and LSAT teacher as an undergrad, they are not looking for that.  You have a great shot at good scholarship money from them with a year of WE.

Would continuing as an LSAT teacher full-time post grad be alright? If not, what other jobs would you recommend I look for? Would a 1-year full time economic consulting job be good, or should I try to land a law-related job?

Thanks again for your time. I'm getting a little, well, obsessed with Northwestern and I would be really happy going (especially at a discount).

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
The LSAT tutor probably wouldn't work, but any professional work experience in any field would work. Certainly doesn't need to be legal.  I'm sure it could even be in the hard sciences, IT, etc.

Currently 95% of their students matriculate with one year of full time work after graduation.

I'm not an Ad Comm or in anyway affiliated with the law school, but I'm speaking from my experiences on this board along with the information from their strategic plan that states that they seek to have 100% of students matriculate with at least one year of post graduate full time professional work experience.

And check links below.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
Full time post-graduate work.  So assuming you did radio and LSAT teacher as an undergrad, they are not looking for that.  You have a great shot at good scholarship money from them with a year of WE.

Would continuing as an LSAT teacher full-time post grad be alright? If not, what other jobs would you recommend I look for? Would a 1-year full time economic consulting job be good, or should I try to land a law-related job?

Thanks again for your time. I'm getting a little, well, obsessed with Northwestern and I would be really happy going (especially at a discount).

If you really want to go to Northwestern, it might be helpful to take 2 years off because they really do love work experience:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/

And, like the poster said above me, they don't really care what you do.  Just do something you find interesting
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »
Agreed with other applicants. Apply when you are at your best.

Other reasons:

For UM, defer admission is much more difficult than regular admission. Also, if you just apply regular and try to defer a year, you might not get a year long deferral.