Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice on personal statement  (Read 714 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Need some advice on personal statement
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »
I'm trying to start my PS, but I'm finding it difficult to come up with a coherent theme. 

I can't decide if I should write on 'why I want to go to law school', 'why I would be a good law student', or something more unique...  What have some of you written about?  Have you chosen one aspect of your life that you think illustrates your potential as a lawyer, or have you told a more chronological history of your post-secondary educational experience? 

I am having a bit of writer's block.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Need some advice on personal statement
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »
Since no one's helped you....
Don't write about why you want to go to law school.
Don't explicitly answer the question "why I would be a good law student."  I think that it should  be tied in to your paper, but I think you should  be telling a story about who you are in a way that relates to being a good law student, and not just saying I will be a good law student because...
And please don't write a chronological history of your post-secondary educational experience, that's a resume. 

Try to think of a story you like to tell about yourself, or your "proudest moment," or your toughest decision, or just something that makes you happy, and then see if anything like that tells about who you are in a way that could be seen as advantageous for a law student.  While you might not come up with a topic like that, maybe it'll help get your mind going.

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Writing a PS is daunting.  I don't want to write bull, but I am having a hard time coming up with a story about myself that is illustrative of my potential. 

I went through a sort of existential turning-point in my life that was pretty meaningful to me.  I kind of hit rock-bottom and then climbed my way up since.  I'm a little bit nervous about alluding to any weaknesses, even to emphasize the strength I gained from recognizing those weaknesses.  Has anyone walked the fine line between discussing your mistakes while emphasizing your growth?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Writing a PS is daunting.  I don't want to write bull, but I am having a hard time coming up with a story about myself that is illustrative of my potential. 

I went through a sort of existential turning-point in my life that was pretty meaningful to me.  I kind of hit rock-bottom and then climbed my way up since.  I'm a little bit nervous about alluding to any weaknesses, even to emphasize the strength I gained from recognizing those weaknesses.  Has anyone walked the fine line between discussing your mistakes while emphasizing your growth?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
Please write about it...I read in Anna Ivey's book that adcomms want to see applicants express some weakness.  They're humans too (I think...  ;) )Just show that you have learned and matured from this weakness.  I really really think you should, at the very least, try writing about it and see what comes out.  I'll be happy to take a look at it if you want.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
Thank you so much for your help.