Law School Discussion

How to find biglaw job? (No OCI interviews)

nsin

How to find biglaw job? (No OCI interviews)
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »
Hey,
  Just like many other people I received no interview from OCI. For someone that wants to get into BigLaw what should we do from now till the end of hiring season(when is that?) to try and atleast get some interviews. I would also like to say that I am not in the top 25% so it gets harder for me and I am at a "Tier 2" school now(transfer) in biglaw market. I wouldn't even mind Corporate Mid-Law if there is a chance I could eventually move up to "biglaw". Thanks in advance for your input/advice.

Re: How to find biglaw job? (No OCI interviews)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
I think the honest answer is that OCI is a big deal for BIGLAW, but your next-best option is to write directly to the firms you're interested in.

If your Symplicity / jobs board has lists of direct write contacts, do it that way.  Otherwise, go to the firms' websites specifically and do it up.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
With your rank and school a biglaw job isn't really feasible. Doing direct writes will be a waste of time if you only apply to biglaw. If you want a job, look at smaller firms.

Hey,
  Just like many other people I received no interview from OCI. For someone that wants to get into BigLaw what should we do from now till the end of hiring season(when is that?) to try and atleast get some interviews. I would also like to say that I am not in the top 25% so it gets harder for me and I am at a "Tier 2" school now(transfer) in biglaw market. I wouldn't even mind Corporate Mid-Law if there is a chance I could eventually move up to "biglaw". Thanks in advance for your input/advice.

nsin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:51 AM »
It's good to be realistic of chances and choices out of "tier 2" schools with non-top notch grades. I will have a fresh GPA so that is always a good thing. How do I go about finding mid-law and small firms that do corporate work? Is it a realistic to trade up or go in-house after working mid-law or at a small firm that does corporate work?

Thanks for your guys help so far.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »
The job market for corporate and transactional work isn't good right now. Haven't you been reading the news? The subprime thing / credit crunch and the overall downturn in the economy are to blame and I doubt things are going to substantially recover by the time you finish school. I'd think about some other area of law to practice.

Again, applying to biglaw is a waste of time. And getting your grades up probably won't help with getting a biglaw job because biglaw hires most of its new associates from the pool of 2L summer associates.

For smaller firms I would look for firms with alums of your law school or college working there. Try looking up alums on martindale and see if your school career office has a list of alums willing to be contacted.

One thing about small firms is that most do not have summer associate programs and many will not hire until after bar passage results come in. Many do hire school term and summer law clerks for hourly wages though. Getting a law clerk job at a small firm might be a good way to get your foot in the door.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »
Its going to be really really hard.  The only way possible is through networking and even that will be a long shot.  Good luck though.

TH14

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »
Hey,

I'm curious about this too...

offer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »
Hey,

I'm curious about this too...

Apply to the firms (mass mail campaign) and attend networking events.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
I hate to break anyones heart, but I sent out 85 resumes to "big-law" firms in late July, and so far it's proven to be a HUGE waste of time.  I'm currently attending a lower ranked tier-1 school, in the 40-50 range and I am in the top 10%, but we're located in the Mountain West where big law surely isn't knocking down our doors.  I've yet to find out who wants to interview me for OCI's, I'm sure it will be much more plentiful.  Anyways, the moral to the story is that in general firms do OCI's at schools where they want to hire, so unless you're somehow exceptional or your uncle is a partner at some "big-law" firm you're probably wasting your time.  If it's of any value, I spoke to the recruiting directors at 4-5 of the firms where I applied in NYC to follow up and they both told me that they're really only looking for top 5% from non-OCI schools, and preferably applicants in the top 5 spots in their class.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
and its a little late now, but early in the summer, there are law type specific or regional job fairs where u can probably try and get interviews with big law firms that don't come to your school