Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is "Nor" an And statement or Or statement?  (Read 595 times)

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is "Nor" an And statement or Or statement?
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
Retailers that excel in neither convenience nor variety of merchandise tend not to very successful.

Is this ~C or ~V ---> ~S?

DefenderOfTheLaw

• View Profile
Re: Is "Nor" an And statement or Or statement?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
NOR is an AND statement.

If A, then neither B nor C:

A --> ~B + ~C

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »
What we know, based on that statement, is that if retailers do not excel in convenience and they do not excel in variety of merchandise, then they tend to not be successful.

Please keep in mind that we know nothing about retailers who do excel in one, or even both, of those conditions.  In other words, do not assume that retailers who excel in convenience and variety of merchandise tend to be successful. Also, do not assume that if retailers excel in convenience, but not in variety of merchandise, then they tend to be successful. The only thing we know is what we've been told about retailers who excel in neither; they tend to not be successful.

A key to doing well on these logical reasoning questions is to not assume anything other than the information you are given in the stimulus.

I know you didn't ask for all of that, but I have noticed this as a common mistake, so I figured I would bring it up.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
What we know, based on that statement, is that if retailers do not excel in convenience and they do not excel in variety of merchandise, then they tend to not be successful.

Please keep in mind that we know nothing about retailers who do excel in one, or even both, of those conditions.  In other words, do not assume that retailers who excel in convenience and variety of merchandise tend to be successful. Also, do not assume that if retailers excel in convenience, but not in variety of merchandise, then they tend to be successful. The only thing we know is what we've been told about retailers who excel in neither; they tend to not be successful.

A key to doing well on these logical reasoning questions is to not assume anything other than the information you are given in the stimulus.

I know you didn't ask for all of that, but I have noticed this as a common mistake, so I figured I would bring it up.

Thankyou