Law School Discussion

How Do Undocumented Students Apply To Law Schools?

SwEep

• View Profile
How Do Undocumented Students Apply To Law Schools?
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »
many of the undocumented students can enroll in college under special state legistation called AB540. This applies in California, Michigan, and some other states. Is there hopes of applying to law schools for these students?

SwEep

• View Profile
Re: How Do Undocumented Students Apply To Law Schools?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
bump

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »
If by undocumented you mean illegal immigrants, then I doubt you'll be able to pass the bar's ethic's review, cause you are here on illegal grounds. So no point to even going to law school. 

SwEep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »
If by undocumented you mean illegal immigrants, then I doubt you'll be able to pass the bar's ethic's review, cause you are here on illegal grounds. So no point to even going to law school. 

isn't that the same reasoning as "why eat food to keep yourself alive if you're going to die anyway?"

there are millions of reasons why people should try to improve their livelihood.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »

isn't that the same reasoning as "why eat food to keep yourself alive if you're going to die anyway?"

there are millions of reasons why people should try to improve their livelihood.

I think cheese's concern is that if you can't pass the bar due to your immigration status, you can't practice as an attorney.  If you can't practice as an attorney, will having a JD really improve your livelihood?  I suppose there are scenarios where it might, but on the whole you'd probably be better off with an MBA/MPP/other graduate degree (usually cheaper, and likely more relevant to whatever career you're pursuing.)  Yeah, you can do things with a JD besides being a lawyer...but I'm not sure why you would get a JD in this situation. 

Also, would someone in that situation have access to federal student loans?  I thought you had to have at least a green card for Staffords/PLUS? Without federal loans, paying for law school would be really hard.  Private credit markets are tight these days - getting $100k+ for tuition without being able to practice law afterwards would be quite difficult, I would think. 

IMHO, someone in that situation would really need to look hard at their reasons for pursuing a JD.  It strikes me as perhaps not the best use of three years of one's life (plus a lot of money!)  But maybe there's a rational I'm not seeing...   ???

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
Sweep, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. It's just that as the above poster stated, if you can't pass the bar, you can't practice law, thus your degree will be wasted. I don't think getting a JD in America helps much to even practice abroad as law is different there.  And American JD's employed abroad passed the bar in the US and are councils for US law in foreign countries.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
Maybe if you get lucky there might be immigration reform. I am not familiar with the bar though, would it matter if you got legalized? You might still not be able to pass the bar because of your prior illegal status. Ilovecheese seems like he knows more.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »
It might also matter on how you obtained illegal status. Did you cross over as an adult, or were you brought over by parents as a child? I would think that would have an impact on how the ethics people on the bar would look at your situation. If the latter, you should try to legalize yourself if possible and then apply for law school. That's what I'd do at least.

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »
yeah if you came over as a child, there are avenues you can go down for residency I do believe but I'm not that familiear on them. Also is there a time limit in the US where if you've been a resident whether legally or illegally you get granted citizenship? I don't think there is but it might be worth looking into (in the UK, if you've been there 14 years and you got there illegally, it doesn't matter you can be granted citizenship). The only thing that I would be worried about is gaining admission since applications ask whether or not you are a resident and if not, what visa you possess

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »
yeah if you came over as a child, there are avenues you can go down for residency I do believe but I'm not that familiear on them [ed: wtf?]. Also is there a time limit in the US where if you've been a resident whether legally or illegally you get granted citizenship? I don't think there is but it might be worth looking into (in the UK, if you've been there 14 years and you got there illegally, it doesn't matter you can be granted citizenship). The only thing that I would be worried about is gaining admission since applications ask whether or not you are a resident and if not, what visa you possess

Meggo, can you, like, chime in when you know something for sure?

Lulz.  I'm ashamed to say it but...lulz.