Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pt score: 156, any hope for 160's by October  (Read 783 times)

Bogart

• View Profile
pt score: 156, any hope for 160's by October
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Just found this site and would welcome any knowledge about my situation.  I have been studying 15 or so hours a week for the past 3 months(bibles, etc..).  So far I've taken two timed pt's with the first being a 161 in July, which I was happy with.  However this morning I got hit with a 156 (pt 35).  Should I look at this positively and take from it that I can at least hit a 156 on an off day or am I destined to place in the sub 160 group come October?  Thanks in advance for any positive encouragement or blunt honesty.

Mina

• View Profile
Re: pt score: 156, any hope for 160's by October
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »
You could get higher than a 161 or much lower. I got a 169 the week before the LSAT, and when I took it I got a 161. Do not think about your scores, just focus on learning the material and your pacing, and worry about your score after the test.

If I were you, which I can not be, I would practice at least 6 hours a day until october. And if I am not averaging 165+ comfortably by then, I would practice harder for the december exam, and not take the october.

really man, take it from me (2L), LSAT = everything, and you only get two shots, so make sure you give it your all, and then give more, and then even more--

NEVER fall into a position of either fear, panic, comfort or cockiness. This is bad.

There is no luck on that test, there are the skilled and unskilled. The choice is yours.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:55:31 AM »
Fortune tellers are much more accurate at predicting your future than people here. 
Maybe you were looking for this site:
http://predictions.astrology.com/fortuneteller.html

Are you always this negative and sarcastic? give it a rest fool.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
You can definitely get above a 160 in October, Bogart.  That said, real test conditions are hard to simulate beforehand, and they ended up crushing me because I panicked, and I ended up scoring much lower than my PTs.  Go in with an air of confidence that you do actually know what you're doing (assuming you will by June!) and you will be just fine.

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
Just found this site and would welcome any knowledge about my situation.  I have been studying 15 or so hours a week for the past 3 months(bibles, etc..).  So far I've taken two timed pt's with the first being a 161 in July, which I was happy with.  However this morning I got hit with a 156 (pt 35).  Should I look at this positively and take from it that I can at least hit a 156 on an off day or am I destined to place in the sub 160 group come October?  Thanks in advance for any positive encouragement or blunt honesty.

You can definitely get to the mid-160s. Identify the area you're least comfortable with and attack that primarily to begin with. For most people it's logic games. If that's the case for you, pick up Powerscore's Logic Games Bible and spend some quality time with it. It's the most learnable section by far. Take a couple PTs per week. Review the questions you got wrong and why you got them wrong, and why the correct answer is correct. Save a few PTs to do one section out of on the days you don't take full PTs, and to add a fifth 'experimental' section to PTs closer to test day. Get used to taking tests early in the morning, since you'll be taking it around 9:00AM.

This has worked really well for me, and I think it's a pretty good, systematic way to improve overall, but especially in whichever sections are giving you the most trouble. Regarding getting a 156 today, it may have just been a hard test, or you may've made some dumb mistakes. My sig has all my PTs, and there were plenty of times I dropped five, six, seven points after scoring well, and I've always gone right back to scoring better. Bad PTs happen.
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:13:29 PM »
thanks to all for the replies, I'm not usually that negative but after so much studying I expected more from myself than a 156.  Anyways, back to the grind of studying.  One problem I have noticed is that when I go over my wrong answers there are always a couple that are just really stupid mistakes (like missing an obvious conclusion for example or just overanalyzing an answer choice for too long).  At first I was not bothered by this thinking that dumb mistakes are easy to correct, but they are still happening.  Other than that I am usually in the ballpark of the right answer, even on ones that I get wrong I at least have the choices narrowed down to two with the right answer always as a candidate.  Any suggestions/tips for going over wrong answers that anyone has would be welcome.  As for the RC I either get 3-4 wrong in a section or 7-9.  I never seem to be in the middle so I don't know what to make of it.  LG are going fine, Im just in the process of perfecting time, other than that I seem to have all the concepts down (LG Bible, setup guide).  I'll stop now because I think I'm ranting but if anyone has any input into the above problems I again thank you in advance.