Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI Reception Questions  (Read 1574 times)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
OCI Reception Questions
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »
So.. a couple of questions:

(1) How important are these things?  I realize it's more face time with potential employers, but the way I see it, that could be either good or bad.  Does anyone think they'll care/notice if I don't go?   

(2) If I do go, would it be inappropriate to bring my wife along?  She's also a law student.

Any insight is appreciated.   

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI Reception Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
C'mon guys, 43 views and no response?  Someone has to have some comments here.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
I'm planning to go to a couple. I feel like more face time and taking the time to attend shows your interest in the firm. I'm not going to take my wife.

Dwigt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:57:20 AM »
I agree that you should go.  I have been told several times that those receptions are part of the interview process so not going gives them a negative impression of your interest level and won't let them get a chance to know you on a personal level. 

For the same reason, I wouldn't take your wife (unless she also interviewed, obviously).  The purpose of the receptions is for them to get to know and continue to evaluate the people they invited, and unless they invited her you really aren't in a position to be adding people to their guest list.  I know it may suck to have to tell your wife she can't come but since she's a student she should understand.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
Alright guys... thanks for the advice.  I'm just sort of tired and unmotivated after just having moved to DC, but I'll definitely go to this.  It'll be a good warm-up for the week ahead. 

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:25:19 PM »
Santropez,

How important are these receptions? 
Very important, here's why -Think of it like dating; everyone there is looking for a partner to make a commitment to.  At these receptions you have the opportunity to stand out, to make a great first impression, and meet the people who will be looking at your resume.  If you are not a top student or don't have as impressive a resume as your peers, this is your shot to get in.  A good conversation with a recruiter can help them overlook your less than stellar grades, or your display of wit can help them forgive your lack of experience in their field of law.

This is also your opportunity to interview them.  Are these people you want to spend time with?  Do you fit into their culture?  If you donít look out for yourself in the hiring process, no one else will.

Your right, it may be dangerous for some, especially if you have no social skills but have a killer resume.  But how far is this going to get you anyway?  You may land an internship or job, but within 6 months you'll realize the match is a bad fit for both of you and youíll either be fired or worse continue on and hate your job. 

As for taking your wife Ė unless she is in the same school and was invited, no.  You want to focus on the job at hand, and make no mistake, this is work.  You should know who is going to be there, information about the firms you are interested in, and get a list of names from career services so you can look out for them.