Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from boss  (Read 1371 times)

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
LOR from boss
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
I plan on getting a LOR from my boss. However, she's also my best friend's older sister. Would it be a good idea to have her talk about how she has seen me grow up into a fine upstanding young man throughout my life in addition to telling them how i'm awesome at work and all that jazz?

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
Re: LOR from boss
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »
Probably not.  I'd imagine you should only use this if you really don't have any profs who know you that well.  Even some of the worst people can find someone to say they're upstanding.  Law schools care more about your intelligence.  If you're upstanding and a leader, that should come through in your ex currics.

Of course, even some of the worst people can also find a prof who thinks making a A in a class they taught means something, and will write a LOR to that effect.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
Probably not.  I'd imagine you should only use this if you really don't have any profs who know you that well.  Even some of the worst people can find someone to say they're upstanding.  Law schools care more about your intelligence.  If you're upstanding and a leader, that should come through in your ex currics.

Of course, even some of the worst people can also find a prof who thinks making a A in a class they taught means something, and will write a LOR to that effect.

And these LORs don't make it too far either.  School's like LORs from profs who have witnessed consistent high aptitude over numerous rigorous courses.  Better yet, a couple professors who can attest to this.   

TITCR.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
actually if you have been in the workforce for some period of time, you should have a LOR from your supervisor.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
actually if you have been in the workforce for some period of time, you should have a LOR from your supervisor.

That is true. But make sure she focuses on your abilities in your workplace, and not how great a friend you are. Your LORs should make the adcoms see how great a student you are and how appealing you will be to your future employers.
Best of luck to everyone!