Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How are you handling it?

Openly freaking out
Ready to rock
Crying quietly
Alchoholism

Author Topic: Who else is freaking out bc school is about to start?  (Read 3502 times)

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
Re: Who else is freaking out bc school is about to start?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
John Dillenger used to give advice that's appropriate for this situation.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
I like my school, so I'm not too worried.  My biggest worries are:

1. Freshman 15 -- I tend to gain weight when stressed, and I've already had to adjust my jean measurements.  I switched from straight leg to boot cut and I don't want to go all the way to relaxed fit.  Don't even get me started on cargo pants.  I'll probably play oompa loompa in order to discourage food abuse.

A lot of people do gain weight in law school, but to avoid it you just need a good routine.  I knew that I was going to end up eating out at lunch a lot, so I found food options that weren't too calorie heavy.  I also walked about 15-20 minutes each direction to school (which with the enormous law school backpack) got enough exercise in for me and kept me pretty relaxed.

Beyond this, I actually didn't think the vast majority of 1L year was stressful.  For the most part, you are reading and going to class.  Yes, finals are incredibly stressful, but you have to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.  Keep on track throughout the semester, and it really won't be that stressful.

2. I won't like the material -- I worked through vault books about legal practice and litigation/transactional work, but I'm still scared that I won't like property, torts, contracts, and company.  If I won't like them, then that doesn't bode well for my ambitions.  Am I correct?  A few lawyers told me that you don't have to like LS in order to like legal practice.

I was worried about this, too, but actually the materials are really interesting.  You read cases, and cases are basically stories.  Some cases are extremely boring, but for the most part, your reading will interest you.

3. Drama -- I hate drama.  I'm going to try to hang on the down-low for the first quarter until I understand the social scene.  Luckily, I have friends in the city from college, and they're generally willing to sip expensive German bocks while discussing Nietzsche.

I think that law school has a little less drama because people have less time to get all that worked out about stuff.  There are points during the year when having a social life is impossible.  There will be times when nobody has heard from you in weeks.  When you do have time to relax and unwind, you're really not going to want any added stress.  I think there's a general consensus to that effect.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »
I like my school, so I'm not too worried.  My biggest worries are:

1. Freshman 15 -- I tend to gain weight when stressed, and I've already had to adjust my jean measurements.  I switched from straight leg to boot cut and I don't want to go all the way to relaxed fit.  Don't even get me started on cargo pants.  I'll probably play oompa loompa in order to discourage food abuse.

A lot of people do gain weight in law school, but to avoid it you just need a good routine.  I knew that I was going to end up eating out at lunch a lot, so I found food options that weren't too calorie heavy.  I also walked about 15-20 minutes each direction to school (which with the enormous law school backpack) got enough exercise in for me and kept me pretty relaxed.

Beyond this, I actually didn't think the vast majority of 1L year was stressful.  For the most part, you are reading and going to class.  Yes, finals are incredibly stressful, but you have to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.  Keep on track throughout the semester, and it really won't be that stressful.

2. I won't like the material -- I worked through vault books about legal practice and litigation/transactional work, but I'm still scared that I won't like property, torts, contracts, and company.  If I won't like them, then that doesn't bode well for my ambitions.  Am I correct?  A few lawyers told me that you don't have to like LS in order to like legal practice.

I was worried about this, too, but actually the materials are really interesting.  You read cases, and cases are basically stories.  Some cases are extremely boring, but for the most part, your reading will interest you.

3. Drama -- I hate drama.  I'm going to try to hang on the down-low for the first quarter until I understand the social scene.  Luckily, I have friends in the city from college, and they're generally willing to sip expensive German bocks while discussing Nietzsche.

I think that law school has a little less drama because people have less time to get all that worked out about stuff.  There are points during the year when having a social life is impossible.  There will be times when nobody has heard from you in weeks.  When you do have time to relax and unwind, you're really not going to want any added stress.  I think there's a general consensus to that effect.

God this is so not the way it really is. Law school drama is like high school drama times 10 its a freaking gossip mill on steroids. You see the same people every day in every class for a year and that who you will talk about outside of class too. You will know who hooked up with who, who puked on who’s sofa, who smoked weed and that will be just after the first day of orientation. Get drunk and stupid with your towny friends, not with your classmates unless you really want everyone to know your business with in 24 hours. True story: girl in my section got drunk told another girl her deepest secrete that she had a fetish for getting peed on during sex, she is to this day know as “water sports girl” by the entire school. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »
Why are finals so stressful?  Do people really get better grades because they study like mad?  It seems like LS exams would respond to thoughtfulness and a semester of study, not cramming in more BLL and practice tests at the last minute.

I was hoping to just chill during finals, take a few practice tests, and discuss the material. 

I probably did first year, I can't remeber back that far now, but I don't really get "stressed" at finals anymore, I get axious, I just want them to be over. If yo want to aviod stress at finals time stay away from the school and library its so thick there you could cut it with a knife. Study at home, thats what I do. I think law school is a marathon rather than a sprint the more you can study little bits at  a time over the semster the easier it is at the end. BUT you have to be one hell of a time manager, its been my experince people who manage thier time very well do very well on exams, don't procrastinate have a plan, babay steps, and keep to it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

robelguapo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
she had a fetish for getting peed on during sex, she is to this day know as “water sports girl” by the entire school. 

Have her number?  ;D

I've started my week one assignments for Contracts...THANK GOD it's actually interesting. A little confusing (some things I have to read twice...ok maybe one or two times more) but not bad at all. I'm sure it will get much worse but it's put me at ease...so far.  ;)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
she had a fetish for getting peed on during sex, she is to this day know as “water sports girl” by the entire school. 

Have her number?  ;D

I've started my week one assignments for Contracts...THANK GOD it's actually interesting. A little confusing (some things I have to read twice...ok maybe one or two times more) but not bad at all. I'm sure it will get much worse but it's put me at ease...so far.  ;)

The first few weeks they wll go really slow and explain things more than they will later, watch out for "hide the ball" profs who will try to lead you donw the wrong path. I called these guys "what's the answer to the question I am not asking" profs. My contracts prof was like that.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
True story: girl in my section got drunk told another girl her deepest secrete that she had a fetish for getting peed on during sex, she is to this day know as “water sports girl” by the entire school.

Hahahahahaha. Horrible, just horrible.

OCI Interviewer: So your classmates tell me you're a water polo fan?
University of Chicago '11

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
God this is so not the way it really is. Law school drama is like high school drama times 10 its a freaking gossip mill on steroids. You see the same people every day in every class for a year and that who you will talk about outside of class too. You will know who hooked up with who, who puked on who’s sofa, who smoked weed and that will be just after the first day of orientation. Get drunk and stupid with your towny friends, not with your classmates unless you really want everyone to know your business with in 24 hours. True story: girl in my section got drunk told another girl her deepest secrete that she had a fetish for getting peed on during sex, she is to this day know as “water sports girl” by the entire school. 

Seriously?  I really did not have this experience.  Rumors do spread quickly, but that happens everywhere.  There really wasn't high school level drama, from what I witnessed.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »

Seriously?  I really did not have this experience.  Rumors do spread quickly, but that happens everywhere.  There really wasn't high school level drama, from what I witnessed.

Maybe thats becuase they were all talking about you  ;D

Yea total drama at my school, I love Mondays cuase I get all the gossip!

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
I am so excited for classes to start, I'm a big dork I guess. Then again, we had orientation all week and had our first class today followed by a session on how we did and what things we should do in the future etc. I'll probably feel differently after the end of the first week.
Whittier Law 2011