Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "doesn't do letters of rec anymore"  (Read 1664 times)

snarkygirl

• View Profile
"doesn't do letters of rec anymore"
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
i just heard back from one of my potentional recommenders (who has written be a LOR for other stuff before) and she said, "i do not teach at the university anymore and therefore don't do letters of recommendation.  but if you are ever in town, you have a place to stay!"  clearly, we had a close relationship and her letter would really help me!  i'm very disappointed.

do any of you think i should try to convince her somehow?  is there anything i could say that might change her mind, or should i just drop it?  thing is, i've been out of school a while and she was one of two academic recommenders i had in mind.  i also have a letter from an attorney i work closely with in my job.  any advice is appreciated.

snarkygirl

• View Profile
Re: "doesn't do letters of rec anymore"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »
i would be inclined to agree with you had she not written me great letters in the past.

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
Seems like she never liked that part of the job from her response - you might be able to convince her to do it but a reluctant LOR probably isn't a very good one. I'd drop it
Best of luck to everyone!

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:30 PM »
she has a history of being weird.  my guess is she probably didn't like that aspect of her job (or didn't like her job at all).  i don't think it's an issue of her assessment of me, because i did well in her internship and she's written me letters before.  it really sucks because she was an advisor on a foreign internship so it wouldn't be just some random professor writing a letter.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
I agree it sounds like she just doesn't like doing them and if she has written you great letters in the past before, that's not the issue. If I were in your position I would send them a letter asking them to reconsider but be open to them not wanting to do it. Because even if she has written them for you in the past and they've been great, if she doesn't really want to do it, it won't be as good. Something like "I understand you aren't at the university anymore but I really enjoyed the internship under your supervision and appreciated the LOR you had written for me in the past and anything similar would be great though I understand if you would prefer not to" and then see her reaction and leave it at that.

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
meggo, that's what i decided to do.  i offered to redate and reprint the letter she wrote me before and mail it to her in an addressed and stamped envelope.  that way all she will have to do is sign the letter, sign the form, and stick it in the mail.  i haven't heard back yet.