Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?  (Read 14363 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, I probably got a couple dings because I didn't buy a new BMW to drive to the interviews.

I'm thinking the M6 would have been a good choice.  It fits my ego well.

Damn it.   :'(

Only rubes drive themselves. Truly professional lawyers only travel by chauffeur. Oh, and jetpack.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, I probably got a couple dings because I didn't buy a new BMW to drive to the interviews.

I'm thinking the M6 would have been a good choice.  It fits my ego well.

Damn it.   :'(

Only rubes drive themselves. Truly professional lawyers only travel by chauffeur. Oh, and jetpack.

So I shouldn't have gotten one of these?

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
I'm also thinking I probably got dinged at the other firm because I tied a half windsor instead of a full.

>:(
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »
I'm also thinking I probably got dinged at the other firm because I tied a half windsor instead of a full.

>:(

Plebe!
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 11:38:21 PM »
For better or for worse, there are reasons for employers to care about how employees present themselves in court and with clients.  (Public defenders shouldn't look too rich, for example.)  But if an applicant's interview dress falls short of the mark, that's no reason not to hire him.  This is the kind of thing that a mentor or recruiting coordinator at a firm should handle -- "Hey, this is awkward, but there's a note here that your pants were a little short at the interview. Pants should hit here.  The firm has a discount program at Brooks Brothers/Hickey Freeman/wherever and I can get you an advance or clothing allowance if you'd like.  If not, I'm sure some of the other gentlemen around could recommend some good tailors. I'm sorry that we even need to trouble you with this, but the firm is concerned about its image."

I agree with Dash about the rest.  The firm's response here was way out of line and laden with class bias.  (Also, as a big girl, I can attest that it is very difficult to find suits that fit appropriately -- even after good tailoring -- for under $400.  I am sure that I face discrimination all the time because people find my body too awkward to fit in, regardless of my sartorial savvy.) 

Finally, the apologias from some commenters here strike me as a little sad.  YBR and Jacy, I know you are both very successful.  You have a lot of good advice to share on the board.  But must you defend every bit of petty, elitist b.s. legal employers throw out?  Sure, firms might be squeamish about having an associate with poorly hemmed pants around the office.  They may even have business reasons to fear judgment.  But their fear is surely not a sign of what's right and good about the world.  Indeed, firms may also be squeamish about introducing clients to an openly gay associate, a disabled associate, an associate who's too fat or too skinny.  Would you defend taking any of these things into account at a screening interview?  I don't see the ill-fitting pants as any more legitimate a cause for alarm.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »
I would like a jetpack.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »
someone who can't even go through the trouble of wearing pants that fit.  Maybe you and dash don't even disagree on that, I'm not sure.

Last I heard, the break is still subject to preference.  Without reading back to confirm my memory of the facts, an inch variance in break is well within tolerance.

Seriously.

Chill out.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 12:37:05 AM »
someone who can't even go through the trouble of wearing pants that fit.  Maybe you and dash don't even disagree on that, I'm not sure.

I agree with Dash on this, as I thought my post indicated.  I don't believe getting some cultural codes wrong is necessarily an exercise in bad judgment or a failure to jump through some minimal hoops: it could be something not very well within a candidate's control, and it could be something that no one ever bothered to teach him.  Indeed, as the poster in question here mentioned, he did go through the trouble of tailoring his pants.  It just so happens that the expert -- his tailor -- got it wrong.

You didn't address the more difficult questions, for all your exasperation.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 12:48:17 AM »

Haha, I just said I'm not even sure we disagree!  The only one who seems to be freaking out is the person you're defending.

I'm just pressing the point.

Take me, for example.  I wear a short break.  Not because I want a short break, but because reality requires it.  My body type makes it so no pants, no matter how well tailored, will stay properly situated around my waist.  A belt is no help because if I belt tight enough to counter the problem, I'll get bunching around the crotch (especially with the material better suit pants are made from).  Absent a too-tight belt, my pants will sit about 2-3 inches lower than optimal, which transforms my short break into a full break (my preferred break).

Which is the worst sin?

a) the short break,
b) bunching around the crotch,
c) too-low pants.

Which is more likely to get me dinged?  I mean, after all, I'm not the model of suited perfection you and others here are demanding.

EDIT: (maybe i could try suspenders...)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »
(Public defenders shouldn't look too rich, for example.) 

This is gonna be easy.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.