Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?  (Read 14869 times)

bigjoefatz

• View Profile
Re: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
I went on 50+ interviews between OCI and Callbacks and I wore the EXACT SAME SUIT each time (different shirt, different tie - cleaners once a week). It doesn't matter. I got offers; so will you.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
1) Poster two above is absolutely right about not seeing the same people. There was only one call back interview I have had thus far where I even saw the person who screened me. If you were going to change anything, change the tie, or the shirt and the tie. That ought to be sufficient.

2) Proper fit on your suit is important. Personal story: one of the career services people at my school pulled me aside during one of our OCI days and told me that she overheard two of the interviewers talking about me. They both said they liked me, but one of them thought my pants were too short. I didn't get a call back from that day. Frankly, I agreed and got the pants changed (they were an inch too short, no joke). Before you get something tailored, be sure to know where things should hang. Many tailors (especially at department stores or Jos A Bank) do not know what they are doing.

3) I agree there is no reason to get any funny fabrics other than wool. You can almost always find a suit for $200 at Jos A Bank and sometimes Macy's or a place like that. The ones at Target are OK if they fit you. Just make sure it is dark as dark colors tend to hide imperfections better. Plus, dark (black, navy, charcoal) is more conservative.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
1) Poster two above is absolutely right about not seeing the same people. There was only one call back interview I have had thus far where I even saw the person who screened me. If you were going to change anything, change the tie, or the shirt and the tie. That ought to be sufficient.

2) Proper fit on your suit is important. Personal story: one of the career services people at my school pulled me aside during one of our OCI days and told me that she overheard two of the interviewers talking about me. They both said they liked me, but one of them thought my pants were too short. I didn't get a call back from that day. Frankly, I agreed and got the pants changed (they were an inch too short, no joke). Before you get something tailored, be sure to know where things should hang. Many tailors (especially at department stores or Jos A Bank) do not know what they are doing.

3) I agree there is no reason to get any funny fabrics other than wool. You can almost always find a suit for $200 at Jos A Bank and sometimes Macy's or a place like that. The ones at Target are OK if they fit you. Just make sure it is dark as dark colors tend to hide imperfections better. Plus, dark (black, navy, charcoal) is more conservative.

I just find this really f-ing annoying. I know, I know, play the game, whatever, have to look the part. But like honestly, for @#!*'s sake, they are pants. They are PANTS. Let it go, firm-working assholes.

Some days I just f-ing hate "professional" people. Hate hate hate hate hate.

Okay. Rant over.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:47:01 PM »

I just find this really f-ing annoying. I know, I know, play the game, whatever, have to look the part. But like honestly, for @#!*'s sake, they are pants. They are PANTS. Let it go, firm-working assholes.

Some days I just f-ing hate "professional" people. Hate hate hate hate hate.

Okay. Rant over.

That is fairly shocking. I mean, I guess I can imagine people dogging on the cut of someone's suit (although it seems stupid and unkind), but not in teh context of "I liked him, but his pants were too short, let's not give him a callback." WTF dudes.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 10:36:25 PM »
Well, I will say, if who said it was who I think said it, I'm probably better off. Actually, I'm better off regardless, I'm not sure I would want to work at a place where pant length was that important.

It really isn't a big deal at the end of the day. I have good options. It is a funny story and a word of caution to some other people out there.

t14troll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 01:38:15 AM »
lol. new shoes too. lol. and don't forget your socks. lol.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
If a client would notice your pants, then they can notice your pants. 

It's an INTERVIEW.  You're supposed to look your best.  If your best is highwater suit pants, then it's a sign that you're oblivious to other social graces as well.  As arbitrary as OCI is anyway, there are lots of other things that probably affect people's callbacks appearance-wise that they can do a hell of a lot less about (acne, ugly nose, bad teeth, cankles) than too-short pants. 

Your response was the right one.  Fix your pants; better luck next time.  At least you got the feedback before you went through interview season wondering why you had no job.

Yes, but: see above re "I know, I know, play the game, whatever, have to look the part. But like honestly, for @#!*'s sake, they are pants. They are PANTS. Let it go, firm-working assholes."

I already acknowledged your point. My point is that, despite the "necessity" of having appropriately hemmed pants, it's f-ing IMMORAL to care about the f-ing hem of someone's pants, as it is functionally irrelevant to the substance of being a lawyer.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
If a client would notice your pants, then they can notice your pants. 

It's an INTERVIEW.  You're supposed to look your best.  If your best is highwater suit pants, then it's a sign that you're oblivious to other social graces as well.  As arbitrary as OCI is anyway, there are lots of other things that probably affect people's callbacks appearance-wise that they can do a hell of a lot less about (acne, ugly nose, bad teeth, cankles) than too-short pants. 

Your response was the right one.  Fix your pants; better luck next time.  At least you got the feedback before you went through interview season wondering why you had no job.

Yes, but: see above re "I know, I know, play the game, whatever, have to look the part. But like honestly, for @#!*'s sake, they are pants. They are PANTS. Let it go, firm-working assholes."

I already acknowledged your point. My point is that, despite the "necessity" of having appropriately hemmed pants, it's f-ing IMMORAL to care about the f-ing hem of someone's pants, as it is functionally irrelevant to the substance of being a lawyer.

How is it immoral to care about whether or not someone can present themselves professionally?  Pants that are a full inch too short do not look professional.  Business has, and always will, involve judgments based upon how professionally one comes across, including your resume, your personal appearance, and your social skills. 

IMO, taking into account personal grooming and wearing clothes that fit is a far cry from making hiring decisions based on how attractive someone is (which crosses the line, IMO, from acceptable to wrong).

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
@#!* business. @#!* "professionalism." All anyone should give a *&^% about is competence and its relative gradations. Social skills, sure. Being able to relate to people is often (but not always) part of the job. But clothing is clothing. Unless it is stained or smelly (leading to questions about social skills), it's immoral to treat something that is so subject to external irrelevant factors (like, say, applicant's tailor's skills, or hey, howsabout, one that has a little more import, I don't know, um, applicant's income level) as "important" to the decision.

Gots to love the snark about how of course, obviously, duh, the profession generally thought to center on the general rules of our society in fact centers on...business?

For the record, not going the firm route. Guess ...the business side? just doesn't appeal to me.

Do wonder what crawled up bosco's ass, though.

This sig kills fascists.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »
@#!* business. @#!* "professionalism." All anyone should give a *&^% about is competence and its relative gradations. Social skills, sure. Being able to relate to people is often (but not always) part of the job. But clothing is clothing. Unless it is stained or smelly (leading to questions about social skills), it's immoral to treat something that is so subject to external irrelevant factors (like, say, applicant's tailor's skills, or hey, howsabout, one that has a little more import, I don't know, um, applicant's income level) as "important" to the decision.

Gots to love the snark about how of course, obviously, duh, the profession generally thought to center on the general rules of our society in fact centers on...business?

For the record, not going the firm route. Guess ...the business side? just doesn't appeal to me.

Do wonder what crawled up bosco's ass, though.

If someone can't afford a %10 tailor's bill to let out a pair of pants, that person likely have much greater things to worry about in life.  Good, basic tailoring is in no way prohibitively expensive for the vast majority of people.

And seriously, if a person can't f-ing get a pair of pants that fit, I'm going to seriously judge that person's competence (no offense meant to RPP, who realized the problem and fixed it).  Dressing oneself is a basic life skill.  And this is NOT something that only big firms care about.  Unless a relative has a job waiting for you finish school or you're going solo, you will be interviewing for your job.  ANY job as an attorney requires professionalism, and anyone that thinks the vast majority of interviewers from the public sector and/or government aren't going to care if they look silly (or worse) because of poorly fitting clothes is fooling themselves.