Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?  (Read 14726 times)

superman10

• View Profile
new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »
I have gotten a callback interview. I wore a suit to the first screening interview 2 weeks ago, and my callback is scheduled for next week. I have been meaning to buy a second suit but just haven't been able to, and now I'm going out of town for a few days, meaning that I probably won't have a new suit ready for my callback interview next week.

My suit is not loud or noticeable...it's a standard conservative suit.  Should I wear the same suit to the callback if I change the shirt/tie combo? I will probably see the 2 people who screened me, so those are the only two people that could potentially remember.

I have always felt you should wear a different suit to the callback, but a lot of my friends say I could wear the same suit, just with a different shirt/tie, and no one will notice.

Thoughts?

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: new suit NECESSARY for callback interview?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
why? They certainly won't remember, esp. as it's an interchangeable conservative suit and it seems silly to rush such something that depends entirely on fit. Wear a different shirt and tie or a collar with a different spread and a different tie. If it was a couple days later, I could maybe understand, but definitely not two weeks.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
Man, this guy is just what we're looking for!  Too bad he wore the same tie!

Are you serious? 
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

superman10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
Yea, I was serious. I mean, I agree I was overthinking it, but I don't think I was totally off base. I"m asking for a six-figure job, and they're having me in for a callback (i.e., high chance of getting the job). I could see some partners being nitpicky about small details.

Anyways, I decided, no new suit! Thanks.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
I don't think it was a ridiculous question at all, and despite what people on here may say, depending the type of job you go for, people do notice these things. Your boss may not, but when his wife passes you in the hall one day when she's going to stop in to her husband's office and makes a joke about something you're wearing....I'm just saying. No, not everyone notices these things nor am I advocating for spending a lot of money and exerting sartorial flair everyday but the higher up you go, the more they do. I also think what many people fail to take into account is it's not just about how you look but where you shop, eat, drink, etc. These things all go hand in hand and open up doors to each other. Anyway, sorry for the mini-rant and what I'm saying is of course not applicable to everyone and depends heavily on the type of law, firm and city, but some times people's posts (not anyone in this thread, just generally!) make me go  ::)

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »
Just wear the same suit.  It really isn't a big deal and they won't notice.  If anything they would remember the same tie before they noticed the same suit and I doubt they'd even remember the tie.

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »
The devil is in the details, and when you are looking to land a 6 figure job, you better believe they notice these things (Meggo makes some great points above).  With two weeks between interviews, and the fact you wore a conservative suit, a different shirt and tie will suffice.  But in my opinion, you ought to look at avoiding this dilemma in the future and consider purchasing a new suit soon.   

If you expect to be wearing a suit daily I would plan on slowly buying 5 suits, 15 shirts, and 10 ties.  You’ll also need at least two pairs of quality shoes, although I recommend most of my clients own 4 to 5.  If you plan it right and go with conservative colors and patterns that interchange easily, you’ll not only be able to dress without worrying about how you look but you’ll go months between wearing the same thing.

When looking to buy clothing, remember to look for these three things -

The Proper Fit – I don’t care if the suit has a 90% discount; if it doesn’t fit you it will not look good.  And when you find a suit that fits you well, take it to get tailored so that it fits you perfectly.  Nothing is as important as fit.       

Timeless Style – Ensure the clothing is classic in style.  You want a suit you can wear not only this season, but 5 years from now.  Avoid fads like the current thin lapels, and instead opt for styles that compliment your individual body style.  Spread shirt collars on the narrow faced man and point collars for the round faced fellow.  Go with conservative colors such as navy blue or my favorite charcoal grey (which does not accentuate youth, thus helping you avoid looking like your 17).

Quality – Go with Wool if you can afford it, a blend with up to 40% man made fibers is OK if you are cash strapped.  Wool is sought after because it maintains its shape, retains heat, absorbs moisture without showing, and it has the look other fabrics are judged by. 

Good Luck!

brooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:48:14 AM »
Quote from: AOCenteno
[b
Quality[/b] – Go with Wool if you can afford it, a blend with up to 40% man made fibers is OK if you are cash strapped.  Wool is sought after because it maintains its shape, retains heat, absorbs moisture without showing, and it has the look other fabrics are judged by. 

Bad advice.  You can get a 100% wool suit at Target for $150, why on earth would anyone recommend a poly blend?  Wool is sought after for a lot of reasons- depending on the type of wool- but polyester (aka microfiber, aka synthetic blend, aka man made fiber) is HOT, shiny, and drapes funny.  If you're "cash strapped," figure out your measurements, identify some timeless designers, scout the thrift stores in the rich part of town, and befriend a local tailor.  shouldn't have to lay out more than $60 for an extremely high quality contemporary cut tailored conservative suit (though for some reason it's often hard to find solids, almost always subtle pinstripes).

That said nobody's gonna remember what you look like- let alone what you were wearing- as long as it's nondescript.  Change the tie and worry about the interview itself.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
That is my biggest issue with poly, it's SHINYNESS. But 40% blend you're not really going to get that. There are benefits of course to man made fibres as well, which is that they degrade a lot more slowly than a natural fibre. Though I think more important to increasing wear of your suit is knowing whether you have a floating canvas or partial floating canvas (though I'm sure if you hand a floating canvas you would know  ;)), and making sure it's gently steam cleaned if your lining is glued in, so that you don't heat up the glue again and gradually shift the lining. Either way, I suppose the suit thread would be a better place for such chat....

subinf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 01:46:10 AM »
No. No one will remember, and chances are you won't even talk to the same people that were at the screening interview.  You could probably wear the same shirt and tie and no one would notice.