Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Assignments  (Read 1068 times)

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
First Assignments
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:57:33 AM »
Anyone else get their first assignments for class this week and discover they have a ton of reading to do in a week? It gets me frustrated that schools don't release the information earlier.

scoundrel

• View Profile
Re: First Assignments
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:26 AM »
Anyone else get a new client this week (and the statute of limitations is about to run on their claim) and discover you have a ton of research, reading, writing, and general lawyering to do in a week? It gets me frustrated that clients don't come in to the office earlier, and that courts don't adjust the statute of limitations to make it more convenient when clients sleep on their rights.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:23:40 AM »
Anyone else get their first assignments for class this week and discover they have a ton of reading to do in a week?

welcome to law school.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:30:39 AM »
I'm a rising 2L by the way. I knew what was coming--just wish we were given a little more time for preparation. Just because I've already completed a year of law school doesn't mean I should be excited about massive amounts of reading and little time to do it in.

raider1218

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
Anyone else get a new client this week (and the statute of limitations is about to run on their claim) and discover you have a ton of research, reading, writing, and general lawyering to do in a week? It gets me frustrated that clients don't come in to the office earlier, and that courts don't adjust the statute of limitations to make it more convenient when clients sleep on their rights.

Writing and filing the complaint to beat the statute of limitations shouldn't require too much work. 

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »
A week isn't enough time?  really?

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
That is the average amount of time they will give your for assignments. Sometimes less. So it is something you will have to get used to. But they did not want to release it earlier because it would prejudice the people who are on vacation and the people without anything to do will be able to be better prepared.

Timmy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
That is the average amount of time they will give your for assignments. Sometimes less. So it is something you will have to get used to. But they did not want to release it earlier because it would prejudice the people who are on vacation and the people without anything to do will be able to be better prepared.

Yeah, most professors are sensitive to the needs of those of us on vacation.   ???

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Law school = lots of reading, we were told at orientation we would read approximately 2500 pages in the first semester. Our first day or orientation we were assigned to read about 130 pages for the next day, we were supposed to have gotten the assignment in the mail weeks before but didn't, we still had to read it.
Whittier Law 2011