Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: quality skills...speaking english...trump color and ghetto-speak stupidity...  (Read 2879 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
although aye don't always agree with stan...he makes astute observations in this article...if u want to get ahead best spell you out for yourself, biatch...dropping the skin color front and education is the key.

Black like whom? Quality skills belong to everyone's race
Monday, August 4th 2008, 4:00 AM

by stanley crouch.

When Jesse Jackson was running for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination, the civil rights movement veteran said to his integrated gatherings on the campaign trail that, if elected, he could not legislate against poor performance in school or irresponsible sexual behavior. At the time, that was seen as a sober look at some problems that still bedevil black America.

That might shock the pants off those who recall how much controversy Jackson recently engendered when caught on mike angrily saying that Barack Obama was talking down to black people in a Father's Day speech that was largely directed at those black men willing to have the singularly intense human fun of making babies but unwilling to care for them once they arrive in this world. How now, brown cow?

Jackson expressed the opinion of far, far more black Americans when he had implied the thing that Obama said directly, calling for those errant black fathers to stop being boys and start behaving like men by assuming the job of parent.

Now it seems that a form of ethnic confusion for which Jackson is largely responsible could have an ironically positive influence on another ongoing problem: the self-destructive, lower-class idea that black kids who do well in school, speak English correctly and do not exhibit the anarchic behavior and stupidity so common in the most popular hip hop are, somehow, "trying to be white."

That is a childish idea that the black lower class needs to put away as soon as possible because, as yet another new study of black Americans shows, the overwhelming majority of that so-called minority group believes that education is one of the best ways to ensure one's chances of success. I would add that that is especially true in an increasingly technological world in which backward achievements such as illiteracy are not valued.

Jackson's insistence that black Americans should be called African-Americans to give them specific connection to a continent and to some sort of pride was often defended by those pointing to the term Italian-American which, unlike what Jackson proposed, referred to a specific place and culture on which variations were made in Italy. That is why, in private, Africans have often laughed at black Americans for believing that the endlessly complicated African continent is no more than a "United States of Africa."

Complexity, of course, has never held much sway in ethnic or identity politics, which can most easily be explained in terms of three words: "us and them." That is always a distortion of true American history because any group with an irrefutable gripe has always progressed most through coalitions, which is how things work in the United States.

An ongoing study at Princeton reveals that 40% of black students at Ivy League universities are immigrants or the children of immigrants. Uh-oh, but maybe not uh-oh. That these students do not see high-quality performance in school and sophisticated behavior as proof of a lack of ethnic pride or self-hatred or being overwhelmed by "white standards" could be very beneficial in ways nothing else has yet been.

While black Americans know little about African religions, history, politics or anything else, they are learning something very important right now. Employers are said to prefer actual African-Americans - black immigrants - because, right or wrong, they assume two things about black people from outside the United States: that they deeply believe in education and the competence that comes with it.

If this country is absolutely lucky, the black lower class will begin to learn with ever greater quickness what black immigrants and everybody else in the world already knows: Quality skills, quality performance and quality products have three obvious things in common. They trump color and national origin in this global economy and will only continue to do so
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
re-read, please.

loquxios....

sur [tppg trsf dysm/

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The author should take his own advice - this article is terribly written and his points are all over the place.

Maybe he should step down and let an African do a better job  ;)
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
The author should take his own advice - this article is terribly written and his points are all over the place.

Maybe he should step down and let an African do a better job  ;)

amazing that you were able to understand it even though it is terribly written, right? ;)

why should he step down...he made points all over the place...and many of those points are on point. ;)

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Atculaly as lnog as frsit & lsat ltetres r crroect yuor biran is albe 2 pcoress all knids of nosnnese!

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/
Kidding

Ok, he did have some good points. Didn't like his 'African American' jab to be honest. But apart from that, he has some good points.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Atculaly as lnog as frsit & lsat ltetres r crroect yuor biran is albe 2 pcoress all knids of nosnnese!

Kidding

Ok, he did have some good points. Didn't like his 'African American' jab to be honest. But apart from that, he has some good points.

please ::)...no jab...truth perhaps...

so you "didn't like" or felt shame?

his jabs shame people...maybe they'll...

rise up...
bless themselves...
not undress themself.

and it is not a jab at african americans...it is a certain mentality that he finds troubling.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
you such creep.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
you such creep.

why are you creeping around this joint?

:D :D :D...that coming from you again, archie bunker.

my darkness gets under your skin don't it, archie.

still afraid aye won't be able to get comb through my hair?

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Kidding

please ::)...no jab...truth perhaps...

rise up...
bless themselves...
not undress themself.

and it is not a jab at african americans...it is a certain mentality that he finds troubling.

Why should I feel shame? I'm African. If anything I should be patting myself on the back. But even when it makes me look good, ignorance is inexcusable. I have no problems with the analysis, it's the jab against the term African American that I dont' like. African American is the term African American people have now accepted and identify with and I hate the arrogance of some high falutin commentators who think their role is to denigrate it at any turn. They give ammunition to the 'racism is made up by minorities' conservatives and gives minorities another thing to be defensive about.

If he doesn't like it, he should just shut the hell up.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Kidding

please ::)...no jab...truth perhaps...

rise up...
bless themselves...
not undress themself.

Why should I feel shame? I'm African. If anything I should be patting myself on the back. But even when it makes me look good, ignorance is inexcusable. I have no problems with the analysis, it's the jab against the term African American that I dont' like. African American is the term African American people have now accepted and identify with and I hate the arrogance of some high falutin commentators who think their role is to denigrate it at any turn. They give ammunition to the 'racism is made up by minorities' conservatives and gives minorities another thing to be defensive about.

If he doesn't like it, he should just shut the hell up.

he is not denigrating the term, "african american"...

---the self-destructive, lower-class idea that black kids who do well in school, speak English correctly and do not exhibit the anarchic behavior and stupidity so common in the most popular hip hop are, somehow, "trying to be white." ---

...that is a jab to you???

against african american's?  aye think that is a statement exposing a misguided mentality.