Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW OCI Results  (Read 4370 times)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GW OCI Results
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
So how did everyone do?  I fared pretty decently (I think) with 8 interviews.  Anyone else want to share? 

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW OCI Results
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
8/35 bids... got some pretty top-notch firms though (Covington, Littler, Paul Hastings, etc.)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:25:26 AM »
Yep, only DC firms.

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:01:12 AM »
I'm transferring from GW to Georgetown, but I submitted OCI bids anyway to see what I could get.  Kind of half-assed it, only submitted 18 bids, but got 11 interviews, so I think that's a pretty good return rate.  I guess those slots will go to other people though now since I can't take them. 

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:27 AM »
7/34 bids.
T3, top 12-13%
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

Brenda22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
13/35

yayas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
did u guys all write cover letters? i did not and faired pretty terribly.  i only received 4 interviews and was under the impression that i would receive quite a few more

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 06:48:28 PM »
No, it's a preselect system.  So it helps you a lot if you are at the top of the class, and hurts you if you are not.

I wrote cover letters to every employer that I sent a resume.  I'm pretty sure that's expected because it's a chance to show genuine interest in the firm or highlight areas of your education or background that match up well with their practice areas. 

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
i wrote cover letters too... and I agree with you!
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
At the risk of sounding harsh, not writing a cover letter for a firm I think conveys that you didn't care enough to research their firm or take 15 minutes to write a simple letter.  I think it would seem like you just blindly sent your resume out to any and all firms, as opposed to being actually interested in that particular firm.  Unless you are at the very top of the class, I think you do yourself a big disservice by not writing cover letters.  These employers sift thru thousands of resumes - you need to give them a reason to take note of you that is more than just a GPA number, and a cover letter is pretty much your only opportunity to do that.