Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Iowa Vs. BC---what to do?  (Read 787 times)

likelysober

• View Profile
Iowa Vs. BC---what to do?
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
Basically, Iowa is offering me $10k per year in fellowship via research position, which for the 2nd and 3rd year would save me ~16-17k in addition to the 10k per year because it will qualify me for in-state tuition.  Now BC literally just called me today to offer me admission off the wait list (no $$$ yet from them, the guy says he's going to talk to the Dean of Admissions there and then call me back with a figure).  Now, since this was so late, I've already moved onto the campus here at UIowa (signed a lease, etc). 

How much, if any, should I want BC to offer for me to switch out of my Iowa situation so late and attend BC?  I know BC is a better school, but not a *whole* lot better than Iowa.  For the record, I am indifferent to working in the midwest or the northeast.  Ahhhhhhhhh, what should I do?  Thanks for you guys' responses in advance!

kev199

• View Profile
Re: Iowa Vs. BC---what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »
I would seriously consider BC's offer.  They place well in biglaw, nice campus, good area, positive student feedback, and it isn't in Iowa.

However, if you really don't care and you have already invested time and money in Iowa, then maybe you should stay.  I would probably bite on BC's offer.  Let Iowa know if you plan to accept BC's offer because they can always do a last second counter-offer to keep you there.

Good luck!
Showing that waitlisters have a chance!

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »
This is a really tough situation.  Iowa seems that it would be cheaper in the long run.  However, BC's career prsopects seem more promising given its locale in the Northeast and its strong placement in Boston and NYC.  What are your career goals?  What are your total savings at Iowa?

I'm obviously biased because I attended BC...so please let me know if you have any questions.  Like I said...Iowa would be the better school if it's substantially cheaper and/or you are dead-set on working in the midwest. 

To reiterate the above poster:  goodluck!  You really can't go too wrong with these choices. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
I would go to BC, b/c I've heard a lot of good things about it, and there's a ton more jobs in the northeast. 

It ultimately comes down to regional preference.  If you have ANY regional preference whatsoever, that should decide it.  But BC will probably have more sway throughout the east coast. 

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »
ditto lindbergh.  it would come down to where you want to live and work.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
My advice, I really am in no position to compare job prospects or education at either school. What I can say with confidence after being in law school for four+ years now who you know beats where you go. I would pick just about any school in a city with a legal market over one in BFE, even over rakings. God forbid you donít get something from OCI from Iowa, where can you go to meet working lawyers and judges? To me being in a city where I can land a clerk job and network in school is key. Iowa is just in the middle of nowhere, youíre going to have to move over the summers anyway to work at a firm in a city. Anyway, thatís my only contribution to your dilemma. City over small town gets my vote for ANY law school. But who I am I to say, I donít go to either school. There is some merit to not upseting your whole life weeks before school starts, and if you get a job from OCI at Iwoa, then no big deal. But if you don't, not many options left I think.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »
First, BC is much better regarded, not just in terms of rankings. Truthfully, I don't even know where they are ranked this year. I do know that BC law students have some reach with their degree than Iowa students are going to have. Neither school can guarantee you a job from OCI, though recruiting will go a little deeper at BC. Matthies makes a very good point about the value of networking and having access to a major city.

Normally I favor going to the cheaper school if we're not talking about the a school in the top 15, but here I think you would have a significant advantage by going to BC, notwithstanding the outrageous tuition and living expenses you would incur by going to school there. Just make sure you use the opportunities BC's location affords you once you get there.

One more thing: I've worked with two people from BC and they really seem to like their school. One of them told me about different networking / alum receptions the school sponsors in cities outside Boston. That might be a good way to start networking if you don't want to work in Boston after graduation.