Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interview attire question  (Read 2957 times)

intel

• View Profile
Interview attire question
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
How strict is the black shoe with navy suit rule? Are dark brown shoes a reasonable alternative?

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interview attire question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
I'm sure some hyper conservative dresser on here will disagree with me, but I vastly prefer brown shoes with a navy suit to a black shoe for men. A lovely deep tan or chocolate shoe I think adds a bit more depth and oomph to an outfit, as long as the brown isn't too light in color (like beige).

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
I agree just make sure its chocolate or another very dark brown.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
I wear black shoes cause that is all i have.  They arent going to notice/care anyway.

law-school graduate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:41:30 PM »
There's no such rule. And as a general rule, brown shoes go with all colored suits. Black shoes go with all suits except for brown suits.

There's a thread on this very topic over on Above The Law today.

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »
I can't stand seeing brown shoes with a navy blue suit, but to be honest, everytime I see a man with a navy blue suit, he's got on brown shoes.

*shrugs shoulders*

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »
Having consulted many men on this very question, my advice is to wear a pair of black plain toed oxfords.  A dark brown can be worn, but it is complimented better by a lighter suit and is less formal than the same shoe in black.  Another option is black straight tip blucher oxfords.  Your shoes are the foundation of your outfit, and for an interview should be a pair of a certain degree of formality – no slip-ons, no boots, nothing that draws attention to itself. And by all means, ensure the shoes are shined and free of marks.

It was mentioned above that no one notices or cares what you wear: nothing could be further from the truth.  The shoes and clothing that you wear is VERY important; the interviewer’s first impression of you will be made within 3 seconds.  Clothing covers 90% of our bodies, and sends a message before we even have the chance to open our mouths.  Countless communication studies show that a clean & friendly appearance creates positive emotions; certain colors create feelings such as trust and authority.  Every person who wants to be taken seriously in an interview should make sure their clothes fit them, compliment their body type, and are timeless in style (thus never out of fashion).  Because the interviewers are going to ask themselves  “Is this someone we want representing us?”

You are spending a lot of money on your education.  Don’t blow it in the interview by wearing a cheap suit that doesn’t fit and bad shoes.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »
Having consulted many men on this very question, my advice is to wear a pair of black plain toed oxfords.  A dark brown can be worn, but it is complimented better by a lighter suit and is less formal than the same shoe in black.  Another option is black straight tip blucher oxfords.  Your shoes are the foundation of your outfit, and for an interview should be a pair of a certain degree of formality – no slip-ons, no boots, nothing that draws attention to itself. And by all means, ensure the shoes are shined and free of marks.

It was mentioned above that no one notices or cares what you wear: nothing could be further from the truth.  The shoes and clothing that you wear is VERY important; the interviewer’s first impression of you will be made within 3 seconds.  Clothing covers 90% of our bodies, and sends a message before we even have the chance to open our mouths.  Countless communication studies show that a clean & friendly appearance creates positive emotions; certain colors create feelings such as trust and authority.  Every person who wants to be taken seriously in an interview should make sure their clothes fit them, compliment their body type, and are timeless in style (thus never out of fashion).  Because the interviewers are going to ask themselves  “Is this someone we want representing us?”

You are spending a lot of money on your education.  Don’t blow it in the interview by wearing a cheap suit that doesn’t fit and bad shoes.

Thanks for the advice. What about the thinner style ties that seem to be in style today?

offer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:00:13 AM »
Polished black shoes, neatly pressed black suit, crisp white shirt, and a properly tied conservative necktie.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 01:22:37 AM »
no black suits ever.

I have been on a bunch of interviews and have done all the research through the CDO and through abovethelaw, etc.

Basically, you need to wear a navy blue or a charcoal suit with a white shirt and an either red or blue tie.  Solid black looks like you are going to a wake and black pinstripe looks pretentious.  Im slowly learning that the black shoes with a blue suit probably isnt the best idea, but I feel like they will just look at that and be like "wow, this kid is broke."