Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading PS bibles and taking TestMasters good idea/bad idea?  (Read 517 times)

wordisbarn

• View Profile
    • Email
Reading PS bibles and taking TestMasters good idea/bad idea?
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a junior at a state school majoring in business. I realized that I wanted to give Law School a shot. I'll be taking the LSAT in about a year from now, I just have a few questions

I'm pretty new to LSD and I've been reading a few topics.
As far as books I'm planning to buy the PowerScore Bibles
I'm going to get to work on them, but if I dont get the scores I want will signing up for TestMasters be a good idea?

In a sense that I'm mixing two different approaches to the LSAT?

Also I my plan is to get to Loyola Law if my scores are good enough I'm looking at UCLA, uSC, and possibly Stanford.

I'm a regular guy, im not the brightest it takes a while for me to understand things..., I just try get the job done a leave, i Go to school full time and work part time, but I'm ready to put in the work as far as studying for the lsat.  My gpa is a 3.0 for a cal state and I'm going to do my best to make it rise higher so I can meet the requirements for my target schools. But heres my question:

If I tried so hard to get into say Stanford law, will I get creamed by the other students in my class because they are "naturally" smart and they understand the material faster than I do?

I guess only I can answer that question...there must be people in my position, small fish in a big pond kinda thing....

thank you for reading.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reading PS bibles and taking TestMasters good idea/bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a junior at a state school majoring in business. I realized that I wanted to give Law School a shot. I'll be taking the LSAT in about a year from now, I just have a few questions

I'm pretty new to LSD and I've been reading a few topics.
As far as books I'm planning to buy the PowerScore Bibles
I'm going to get to work on them, but if I dont get the scores I want will signing up for TestMasters be a good idea?

In a sense that I'm mixing two different approaches to the LSAT?

Also I my plan is to get to Loyola Law if my scores are good enough I'm looking at UCLA, uSC, and possibly Stanford.

I'm a regular guy, im not the brightest it takes a while for me to understand things..., I just try get the job done a leave, i Go to school full time and work part time, but I'm ready to put in the work as far as studying for the lsat.  My gpa is a 3.0 for a cal state and I'm going to do my best to make it rise higher so I can meet the requirements for my target schools. But heres my question:

If I tried so hard to get into say Stanford law, will I get creamed by the other students in my class because they are "naturally" smart and they understand the material faster than I do?

I guess only I can answer that question...there must be people in my position, small fish in a big pond kinda thing....

thank you for reading.

PS is a TM spin-off, so the approaches are probably pretty similar.  Reading the bibles first and then taking the class is probably a good idea, as you'll have an introduction to the material.

With a 3.0 GPA (currently), it's almost impossible for you to get into Stanford, regardless of LSAT, so I wouldn't worry about it.  (They generally require a 3.8+)  Loyola is more attainable.  However, you should strive to do as well as possible on the LSAT.  If you do well enough, you may have a shot at USC, and an outside shot at UCLA provided you raise your grades.  And if you get in based on your numbers / work experience, it will be because the Adcoms realize you can handle the work/competition. 

(I also feel the "Tortoise" will generally do better than the "Hare" in law school -- it's very labor intensive.)

Bottom line, a strong LSAT could earn you a full-ride at Loyola, so just focus on that for now.

Rocketman11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »
Many schools balance undergrad GPA and LSAT score, though I doubt many place higher weight on your GPA.  What I'm trying to say is, an outstanding LSAT score could help you get into a school that your GPA might be on the fringe of.  Contact admissions departments at the schools you're thinking about and ask about their admissions criteria, and how much weight each category has.

wordisbarn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
any more comments. thank you guys for responding

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
If you do indeed do extremely well on your LSAT I don't see why being a splitter would exclude you from Stanford. Admittedly your chances are slim - but they're not altogether destroyed.

Give the adcoms reason to believe that you can both handle the intensive workload of law school and that you can contribute to the class diversity that American law schools so desperately seek to acheive. If you're a minority, learning disabled, from an impoverished family, etc. play up these traits.