Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: used or new supplements  (Read 631 times)

jubcoo

• View Profile
used or new supplements
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:19:39 PM »
I am going to be a 1L in about a week. I am buying supplements right now. Obviously, previous edition used supplements are alot cheaper. Am I ok going with these, or should I get the latest/new ones?

Thanks

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: used or new supplements
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
For con law, you'll definitely want the latest edition because the law evolves so quickly. For torts, property, etc., you could go with an older version and save some $$$ because the black letter law is basically the same.

jubcoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »
What about Civil Procedure? Am I ok for that?

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
Depends on how old... The FRCPs were changed in December 2007, but a lot of the amendments deal with electronic media, so older ones shouldn't have that much, if any, effect on you. I used older versions (early 2000s) and got an A in the class. My prof recommended Glannon's E&E, though, and I did get the newest version of it.
As for other supplements, I used used ones and saved some $. For civ pro, and really for any of your classes, a lot will depend on how your prof teaches. I've had profs that followed commercial outlines almost to the T, and others who supplements were useless for.
There's plenty of threads on this, but I liked Crunchtime by Emanuel a lot. It was short and sweet and I wish they had it for ALL classes. Supplements keyed to your casebooks are also helpful (for example, Dukeminier is worshipped when it comes to property law). With the exception of Crunchtime, I used a different brand of supplement for every class. It is all about what works for you.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
For con law, you'll definitely want the latest edition because the law evolves so quickly. 

I used a 10 year old Chemerinsky hornbook for conlaw. It was fine on everything except for the most recent war on terror cases (which wouldn't have been in the latest edition either because they were only a few months old at the time)

Generally speaking, used should be fine. 
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?