Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about Golden Gate  (Read 13191 times)

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Questions about Golden Gate
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
 I believe that regardless of the statistics if you go into a school motivated you can land a good job out of GGU or just about any law school. Because you have to believe that the lower tier schools attract quite a few people who dont deserve to be in law school...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
I believe that regardless of the statistics if you go into a school motivated you can land a good job out of GGU or just about any law school. Because you have to believe that the lower tier schools attract quite a few people who dont deserve to be in law school...

... and a lot of really motivated people that know how stacked the odds are against them because of their bad school. Motivation is fine and dandy, but remember, most of the people at *&^% law schools are aware of their situations and are trying to finish as high as possible to transfer out, get a good job when they graduate (or any job really), or just not fail out. And when only a small percentage will be able to transfer, only a small percentage will be able to get good jobs coming out, and a large percentage will fail out, that's going to cause motivation levels to go way up.

You can be as motivated as you want, but at the end of the day, so will most people at any law school, and especially at the really bad law schools.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
As someone with a lot of experience interviewing and then hiring in the SF legal market, I'll throw this out there (expecting 0ls to lose their minds).  California markets are all VERY regionally biased.  If you want to work in SF, you are better off going to GGU than 2nd tier schools like Loyola, Pepperdine, or Mcgeorge and than lower T1 schools that are more distant like UArizona or UFlorida.  If you want to work in LA, go to Chapman over USF and Santa Clara.  GGU grads are shut out of most biglaw jobs straight up, but they still do fairly well in the SF market due to the prime location and networking opportunities.  I didn't go there for my JD, but I know some of the professors there and have worked with and against some of their alumni.  Their saturation of the SF market is thorough and, as a lawyer in the area, I could not discount any graduate of the school, although it was a bit hit-or-miss (for the record, it was also hit-or-miss for USF, SCU, and Berkeley).  For reference, I would compare it to Southwestern in LA or John Marshall in Chicago.

Hey, Theor.

I'm a Bay Area native, and my whole family still lives there.  I went to Berkeley undergrad and now I'm at a law school (ranked 40-50) in a different state on a scholarship. 

I want to move back home for sure, at least after I graduate.  What do you think my chances of getting a job in the Bay Area would be from a regional school outside the region?  I never thought it'd be "easy" but I thought since all my connections/roots are from there, I would have more credibility than someone random who just wants to move.

Better for me to transfer?

SamE397

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »
A few points

1. It's true that the base rate of tuition is approximately $30,000 The actual tuition paid by many students is far less though about 50% of students in the 2011 class were getting scholarships and the avergage of which was $14,000

2. It may be true that the california bar is deflated but even students who went to Berkeley only passed the bar at 85%, so I think some people on here might be underestimating just how intesive the california bar is

3. To the guy from the midwest saying top grads at his school weren't making as much as the recent graduate from GGU. I hate to break it you but people in california make a lot more than most other people in the U.S that's just the way it is. There's a trade off because it is much harder to get into law school, graduate, and pass the bar in california.

4. I had a 156 lsat and had a 3.69 GPA, I could have gotten into USF, but I would have probably had to pay full or close to full tuition. For me personally going to GG seemed to make the most sense if I wanted to chase the California dream; I've chosen not to but I don't dismiss anyone who choses to.

SamE397

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
While Ninja's reply has a lot of wisdom in it; I wouldn't necessarily dismiss this train of thought if you're someone who is in the top of you class entering in, why should you care about the averages?

I think there's two things here basically

1. Maybe you shouldn't IMO if you really want to practice in the bay area or you can't go to school somewhere else; going to GGU near the top of your class on scholarship makes a hell of a that more sense than going to USF paying full tuition and graduating middle to bottom of your class.

2. High attritions rates and low average prospects can make for a very stressful environment not to mention more work because people are clawing to get near the top. Even if you're someone who's near the top of your class I think the average trends can create very serious quality of life and educational environment issues.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:55 AM »
Here it is this is what pissed me off this thread is why I have been posting on here a lot. F'ing idiots who knew nothing about GGU made me terrified to go there and I nearly moved to Michigan based on this thread and numerous other internet postings that terrified me of going to GGU. However, GGU is fine, the two people with experience at the school on this thread said it was good, but instead of listening to them I nearly listened to idiots with no experience with the school talk me into not going. Honestly, if you are considering a tier 4 law school do not listen to what people say any ABA law school will provide you with the proper education to be an attorney. I just looked back at this post and can't believe what people said about GGU who had absolutely no experience with the school it is SHOCKING that people will degrade a school they know nothing about.

NINJA no offense to you, but I am just picking on you at random FSU has 22 people that didn't pass the bar and then 10% of those people didn't even have a job, the rest probably work at McDonald's.  I could say that about FSU and the fact that 22 people didn't pass the bar is true, it does not make FSU a bad school by any means.

Obviously 22 people not passing the bar happens and I am sure no FSU grad is working at McDonald's, but hell maybe they do truth is I don't know, but I won't insult your school and you shouldn't insult a school you nothing about. No offense to Ninja you say a lot of good things, but I am baffled that you and other people that have no experience with a school will insult and scare people away from attending. GGU is a fine school and I have been very happy with it. I wish I had NOT taken things I saw on the internet seriously, when deciding to attend law school and I really hope someone will learn from my mistake and realize ABA schools will give you the proper education to be a lawyer and if you are considering law school DO NOT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE THINGS PEOPLE SAY ABOUT SCHOOLS UNLESS THEY HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE THERE. THE END!

I don't try to scare people away from anything, but I don't sugar coat the situation either.

For the purposes of this discussion, because you already went there, I'm just going to discuss FSU v. GGU to illustrate why the buyer should beware about GGU.

If you think 22 of FSU's 314 JDs not passing the bar is a big deal, I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say about 73 of GGU's 203 JDs not passing the bar. Every school has its clunkers, it's a fact (I blame law schools not interviewing during the admissions process). I know some people that are here now and some that have already graduated that will never be attorneys for a number of reasons, but usually it's not academic inability. At GGU, academic inability will be but one of many hindrinces among the student population. Let us not forget that GGU failed out 47 people (including 12 2Ls) in the same time period that FSU failed out 2 1Ls.

Ultimately, law school is what you make of it. The problem with most schools outside of the T2 is that you only have so much to work with. GGU is no exception. You might have had an excellent experience there, congrats, I am honestly happy that you beat the odds. That doesn't change the fact that, in the most recent LSAC numbers, over 1/3rd of GGU's graduates DID NOT PASS THE BAR, which is basically the whole point of going to law school. And that's the problem. For every 1 person FSU fails, 14 are serviced (rounding down). For every 1 person GGU fails, 3 are serviced (rounding up). Law school is a gamble and people in the T4 have the worst odds.

Oh, and FSU is a public school. Even if you get burned, if you're a resident, you're only out about $36k for tuition at FSU. At GGU, you're over $100k upside way down.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Capitol Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
Bigs,
thanks for your impassioned defense of Golden Gate, you're right that too much interweb-opinion about T4 schools is both misleading and annoying. I enjoy that the folks on this forum are actually talking about value factors other than the USNWR rankings; at the TLS forums people are obsessed with the school's brand, and everybody thinks GGU is KMart. I am personally waiting on acceptance letters, hoping I get into Hastings or USF, but will definitely consider GG if that's my only choice. I have a 153/158 LSAT and a mediocre GPA, plus I'm ancient (35 years old). I can't decide if I should put off school another year and apply again in 2012, or attend GGU if it's my only choice. Any comments? :-\

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
Those are all fine schools. If you have a 158 odds are you will get a substantial scholarship from GGU. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see the scholarship offers that other students received. This site is helpful for all 0L's to get an idea of what kind of scholarship money and acceptances they can expect from every ABA school. At any of those schools particularly Hastings and GGU you will get a lot of the same professors. Peter Keane, Michael Zamperini, Marc Greenberg, Jon Sylvester look them up and miraculously they teach the same subject with the same textbook at GGU and Hastings. Somehow Hastings is 49th and GGU is 112th.

Hastings is the better school, but worth paying full price opposed to a scholarship at GGU? That is debatable. Bottom line is go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and any one of those schools will prepare you and allow you to take the bar. Be wary of the costs and realize employment from any of those schools will be difficult. Stanford & Berkeley are right here not to mention plenty of people from Harvard, Yale, UCLA, etc want to move to San Francisco.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »
Hastings is the better school, but worth paying full price opposed to a scholarship at GGU? That is debatable.

Nope. Not debatable. Hastings is much, much better. Your point has merit generally, but that's far too wide of a gap to jump w/ a scholarship.