Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supplemental Reading - Possible RC Help  (Read 626 times)

Nowhere Fast

• View Profile
Supplemental Reading - Possible RC Help
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
Although my untimed RC sections are slowly improving, I'm afraid that once I move onto timed practice, they will inevitably worsen.  Unfortunately, this is due to my slow-reading skills.  I've noticed that the passages that are based on 'Political Correctness' 'Cultural Relativism' are usually what slow me down the most.  I heard that reading certain publications such as The Economist, The New Yorker, and Scientific American will gradually help me develop better reading skills.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? 

Also, my Testmasters instructor suggested that I pick up some 19th Cent. philosophy due to its denseness. Does anyone know what would be a good selection from 19th. Century Philosophy?

Nowhere Fast

• View Profile
Re: Supplemental Reading - Possible RC Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Looks like I mistakenly posted this thread twice.  Just ignore the other one.

Nowhere Fast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
Also, let me clarify that by 'slow-reading skills,' I am only implying that it takes me a little longer than needed to comprehend the general idea or significance of complex sentences.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
I've heard that said a few times about the Economist & the New Yorker.

I had a subscription to the Economist for 6 months..and basically all it did was bore me. It's incredibly dry writing about recent events, mostly political. I really don't see the relation to RC passages..

As for the New Yorker..I like that magazine, but again, I don't see it being as dense as RC passages. Think about who the New Yorker is targeting..middle & upper class people who tend to enjoy the arts and humanities..you won't find an article with heavy science in it. They don't want the New Yorker to be too dense...just frilly enough so the people who read it feel smart.

The 19th philo stuff, I wouldnt know. Curious to hear the suggestions of some phil majors, if they see any benefit of reading certain material.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
I'm a subscriber to the Economist and I also wouldn't suggest reading it, but for the opposite reason. I don't find it dry at all, but far too conversational in tone to really help you with RC which never really takes that approach. I also love The New Yorker, Harper's and The Atlantic Monthly and have never found them "frilly" but different strokes I suppose. Honestly, as long as your an active reader, I don't think reading any magazine articles will necessarily help you with RC speed. It might be helpful to deconstruct an Economist of Atlantic article and ask yourself the Main Point, etc. but I've found the best way to improve your RC score is simply to practice and not freak out when you get to a passage that deals with issues you haven't encountered before.

protokurios

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
I've been reading every issue of The Economist online for the past 3 months, and I agree with meggo. While I love how it uses lots of vocab words I need to look up in the dictionary, it's a periodical, so it doesn't have the argumentative, persuasive tone that many RC passages have. It just reports on the news. It does give the magazine's view on certain issues occasionally, but it doesn't really use support to argue in favor of them.

SciAm articles are pretty long, a lot longer than RC passages. You will find science reading there that is very similar to what you'll find in science RC passages.

Read these publications in your spare time, but try to get used to RC passages as they are given on the LSAT. Do a lot of different types of reading in general--scholarly essays, fiction, scientific magazines, newspapers--so your mind is stimulated even outside of LSAT prep per se. But there are a lot of prep tests out there for practice. Might as well use them.

servinglife

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
One thing I have been doing recently is reading the editorials in the NY Times, but most newspaper's editorials will do. Don't look at the title as that will give you the topic, and perhaps the scope and the author's opinion or main point from the outset. Try to id each of these things along the way. Also, you may try reading articles from some of the law journals online as these also are frequently opinionated, although they will be substantially longer than an RC section.

sofia455

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
Although my untimed RC sections are slowly improving, I'm afraid that once I move onto timed practice, they will inevitably worsen.  Unfortunately, this is due to my slow-reading skills.  I've noticed that the passages that are based on 'Political Correctness' 'Cultural Relativism' are usually what slow me down the most.  I heard that reading certain publications such as The Economist, The New Yorker, and Scientific American will gradually help me develop better reading skills.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? 

Also, my Testmasters instructor suggested that I pick up some 19th Cent. philosophy due to its denseness. Does anyone know what would be a good selection from 19th. Century Philosophy?

Well, if you can get through John Stuart Mill (British political philosopher) and understand what he has written, you can get through anything... that guy was a rambler. See "On Liberty" for his most well-known work. Reading through the Federalist papers can get dense, if you're going for something more political. Although reading through philosophy might only help you learn to read more critically, not more quickly.

Married w/ 2 kids
Philosophy Major/Business Minor
Graduation: May 2010
PTs:156[Aug08];
June 2009 LSAT: ---
UG GPA: 3.7

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »
NOOOOO if you can get through Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, then you can surely get through anything.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »
But of course, the point of RC is that you don't have to understand what is actually being discussed, you just need to be able to understand the MP of the author, author's attitude, how each paragraph works, how certain words are used in a sentence, etc. Which is why I think you just need to focus on specific RC sections or perhaps trying to decipher a difficult science passage using LSAT style questions....