Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Windows Vista - opinions  (Read 1911 times)

Guy Patterson

• View Profile
Windows Vista - opinions
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:08:35 AM »
Who has it? How's it working? Are you happy with it? First hand knowledge only please.

I personally have had it for 2 weeks and think it's alright. No problems so far, although it does take a little longer to boot up than I had hoped. I'm running 2.26 core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista - opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »
Who has it? How's it working? Are you happy with it? First hand knowledge only please.

I personally have had it for 2 weeks and think it's alright. No problems so far, although it does take a little longer to boot up than I had hoped. I'm running 2.26 core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram.

It is a little buggy. And I am quite annoyed. My internet explorer kept on crashing for no reason. I got so annoyed that I had to switch to firefox. I still use it to this day.

It also has other minor annoying errors that I never experienced with XP.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »

If anyone reads this thread looking for whether to get an XP for Vista PC, you're going to want Vista. By the time you graduate law school, Vista will be the standard, and you do NOT want to install a new OS on a laptop.
I'm posting constructively.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
I've been using Vista for about 2 weeks on a new laptop and I like it well enough. I'm coming over from OS X and find the general experience to be about the same. There are a few strange things to get used to, but it's not too bad.

I would dread using it on entry level hardware though.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
I wonder how those using Vista feel about the sleep/wake functionality of Vista? OS-X is solid in this regard - My Macbook Pro wakes up from sleep and grabs the internet within 3 secs or so. Not so with my former XP laptop. Its poor performance in this regard drove me to OS-X.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
vista SUCKS.

especially the built in "functionality" that keeps it from playing burned dvds.   >:(

oh, and hey microsoft, btw, when i tell my computer to execute a command or run a program, I'M SURE.  you dont need to ask me 3 times, mmmmkay?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
I wonder how those using Vista feel about the sleep/wake functionality of Vista? OS-X is solid in this regard - My Macbook Pro wakes up from sleep and grabs the internet within 3 secs or so. Not so with my former XP laptop. Its poor performance in this regard drove me to OS-X.

Oingo

I've found Vista hooks up to wireless pretty quick, like 5 seconds or so if you have a decent signal. Wake-up takes about 5 additional seconds for me.

Guy Patterson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:16 AM »
Vista may take a few more seconds to wake up, but it seems to lose just about no power whatsoever during sleep mode. When I had XP it would lose power while hibernating - not with vista. I also love that you can choose to do things like power down your dvd drive while not using it to conserve battery life.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:54:08 AM »
Vista may take a few more seconds to wake up, but it seems to lose just about no power whatsoever during sleep mode. When I had XP it would lose power while hibernating - not with vista. I also love that you can choose to do things like power down your dvd drive while not using it to conserve battery life.

I have been really happy with my battery life. I had my laptop (an HP Pavilion) sleeping for about 6 hours the other day and it lost like 1% of its battery life. If I have it disconnected from its power source, the battery lasts about 5-6 hours in use. It's awesome. My old Powerbook's battery lasted 3 hours even at its peak. Nowadays it can't hold a charge past 15 minutes.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
I've had it on 3 computers since its release.  There were driver issues when it was brandnew, but that hasn't been an issue for more than a year.  1 of the laptops had the same issues installing sp1 that another poster mentioned, but that's also in the past.  All in all, I like it and see no reason to use XP, I prefer Vista.  I've also never had a problem with IE7, but I suppose that's personal preference, and a seperate issue from the OS.  Also, Vista's power management features are much more powerful than XP's.