Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for us older folk...  (Read 4959 times)

BLOND37

for us older folk...
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
say like 35 and up.. what been the hardest obsticle, and how did you over come it?

luckylady

• View Profile
Re: for us older folk...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
This is a good question - hopefully we'll get some responses! I am studying for the Oct.LSAT but am seriously considering pushing it back to Sept.09 because I don't feel that I am as prepared as I could be for this test. I am in my 30's with a family, and definitely the biggest (and so far the only) obstacle for me has been finding the time to devote to in-depth studying.

JJ2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
say like 35 and up.. what been the hardest obsticle, and how did you over come it?

The hardest thing for me was giving up the "good life" so that I could afford to go back to school. I'm 35, I had a very good job, a really nice house, no children, and a good amount of disposable income.  I was really spoiled, but I was very unhappy with my job.  I simply wasn't challenged, and I sincerely felt like I was wasting my potential.  My wife had a similar epiphany, and quit her job as a teacher to go back and earn her engineering degree. 
Watching the change in her outlook, overall happiness, and health inspired me to go back and pursue a professional degree.  After evaluating engineering, architecture, accounting, and law, I felt law was the best fit. We sold our house, bought something more modest, and got rid of a lot of things that we didn't absolutely "need."  Fortunately for me, my wife a) is very understanding, and b) has finished school and is working in a job that she loves.  I still had to borrow a huge amount of money to make this happen, but I am looking forward to the challenges of school, as well as a rewarding career that requires the full use of my mental capacity.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »
Overcoming the fear and uncertainty associated with starting a law school. It is difficult to walk away from a career and the certainty associated with it. This is especially true when you read or hear all the horror stories associated with 1L. But if you can get by that (i.e. If you really want it), you'll do it and be glad you did. Plus, you'll find out it isn't as horrifying as everyone makes it out to be.

th0409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
luckylady,

I think you answered your own question. The biggest obstacle is going to be the exact same as the one you currently have. How do you balance you life, family, finances with the increasing demands of law school. I'm sure you're aware the first year will probably be the toughest academically, but the time committment never gets easier.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
I miss working
I miss earning money, and
I miss being around people my own age

(sorry 20-somethings, you are boring :) )

JJ2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
I miss working

I miss earning money, too.  I feel like a bum while my wife is the primary breadwinner.  I don't really miss working because I'm busy with school.  And fortunately, there's a good mix of older folks in my class.  Some of the young'uns are alright, but there certainly are a few boring ones.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »
I miss working

I am a youngin' at 28, but your last point is good.  I am attending a part-time program and fear I would have choked some of the students in the full-time program.  The difference between the day and the night students was brough into stark contrast by the "keg party" invitation sent out through Facebook.

The part-time students also have a much broader range of backgrounds.  Half the fun is finding out the background of the people I'm going to school with. 

Euterpe

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Original Chelsea Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
I'm 48 and I will go to law school! 

My biggest obstacle has been my own fears.

Fortunately I'm determined and have a good friend in England who told me "go for it".  He studied pre-law 23 years ago and was told unless he got rid of his regional accent he had little chance of making it as a barrister.  He decided he didn't want to be affiliated with people who thought that way so he mastered in accountancy, and is now a CFO of a top firm in Germany.  He reasoned that to have the desire and not a cultural barrier I'd be crazy not to follow my dream.

Now to finance this excursion.....single mom, 2 kids, and a mortgage...hmmm.  This should be an adventure!!

[

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »
I miss working

I am a youngin' at 28, but your last point is good.  I am attending a part-time program and fear I would have choked some of the students in the full-time program.  The difference between the day and the night students was brough into stark contrast by the "keg party" invitation sent out through Facebook.

The part-time students also have a much broader range of backgrounds.  Half the fun is finding out the background of the people I'm going to school with. 

What's wrong with keg parties?  If I didn't live so far away from campus, I'd be right there alongside the "youngin's." 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011