Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for us older folk...  (Read 4937 times)

Connelly

• View Profile
Re: for us older folk...
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
I miss working
I miss earning money, and
I miss being around people my own age

(sorry 20-somethings, you are boring :) )

I am a youngin' at 28, but your last point is good.  I am attending a part-time program and fear I would have choked some of the students in the full-time program.  The difference between the day and the night students was brough into stark contrast by the "keg party" invitation sent out through Facebook.

The part-time students also have a much broader range of backgrounds.  Half the fun is finding out the background of the people I'm going to school with. 

What's wrong with keg parties?  If I didn't live so far away from campus, I'd be right there alongside the "youngin's." 

Nothing...it's just that the appeal of having a party centered around a keg was lost on me around the time I was old enough to purchase a keg.  I hear very few adults inquire about when the next kegger is. 

Euterpe

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Original Chelsea Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »

[/quote]
What's wrong with keg parties?  If I didn't live so far away from campus, I'd be right there alongside the "youngin's." 
[/quote]

Ditto!
[

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
Well here it goes....

I'm 40 and taking the LSAT in December.  I am currently a pharma rep but looking to do what I should have done 18 yrs ago, LAW SCHOOL. I live in CA and am looking at attending a CBE approved school as opposed to ABA, part time, evenings.  In CA, these CBE schools are a step above the online degree but don't require "the baby bar" after year one. I will be able to sit for the CA Bar upon completion and once that's passed, I'm on my own.

I too have a family, but no debt. Well, law school debt soon enough, but at a MUCH LOWERE COST!  Anyway, I have NO ambitions of practicing in a big firm.  I just want my own small practice, maybe even bite the bullet and look into working for the D.A. after school.  Money just hasn't bought me happiness. 

My question is, why all the hype on school tiers?  The 2 schools I'm looking at in Los Angeles actually have some prestigous, working alumni as well.  Large firms, sitting judges.. etc. Is it REALLY the be all end all?  I just want to practice law on my own terms. Any horror stories out there on this approach?

Am I nuts or what????
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 12:58:25 AM »
Well here it goes....

I'm 40 and taking the LSAT in December.  I am currently a pharma rep but looking to do what I should have done 18 yrs ago, LAW SCHOOL. I live in CA and am looking at attending a CBE approved school as opposed to ABA, part time, evenings.  In CA, these CBE schools are a step above the online degree but don't require "the baby bar" after year one. I will be able to sit for the CA Bar upon completion and once that's passed, I'm on my own.

I too have a family, but no debt. Well, law school debt soon enough, but at a MUCH LOWERE COST!  Anyway, I have NO ambitions of practicing in a big firm.  I just want my own small practice, maybe even bite the bullet and look into working for the D.A. after school.  Money just hasn't bought me happiness. 

My question is, why all the hype on school tiers?  The 2 schools I'm looking at in Los Angeles actually have some prestigous, working alumni as well.  Large firms, sitting judges.. etc. Is it REALLY the be all end all?  I just want to practice law on my own terms. Any horror stories out there on this approach?

Am I nuts or what????

Yeah, you're nuts.  Why the hell would you go to a school that's not ABA-approved?  D.A. office is not something that's just easy to get into.  Go to a better school.  Your family will thank you.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Thinking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
I am seriously considering Law School.  I am 47, divorced, children in college, and free to relocate anywhere.  A have been working as a nurse for 18 years. So many ask why don't I become a paralegal---answer:  because I have been a nurse and I won't make a lateral move :)
I plan to sell my home and use the equity to rent an apartment and pay tution.  Am fearful of losing free time and a good income and my current retirement backup, but I will have to do something for the next 20 years so why not!!  Is it too late??

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 11:47:38 PM »
I plan to sell my home and use the equity to rent an apartment and pay tution.  Am fearful of losing free time and a good income and my current retirement backup, but I will have to do something for the next 20 years so why not!!  Is it too late??

It's not too late so long as your home has equity and will sell.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

LegalStudy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »
Nothing...it's just that the appeal of having a party centered around a keg was lost on me around the time I was old enough to purchase a keg.  I hear very few adults inquire about when the next kegger is. 

I created a new account just so I could post in this thread!  :) I'm just like Connelly - a kegger party is just not something I am interested in any longer. I'm 35 and 10+ years older than everyone else in my class, it seems. Gets a little discouraging sometimes, although I'm very glad to be in law school.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

I created a new account just so I could post in this thread!  :) I'm just like Connelly - a kegger party is just not something I am interested in any longer. I'm 35 and 10+ years older than everyone else in my class, it seems. Gets a little discouraging sometimes, although I'm very glad to be in law school.

I was being a little bit facetious about the keg parties (though any place that has beer--at least good beer--is a good place to be).  I'm older than you, and I'm significantly older than a lot of my classmates, but I don't let that get in the way of having a good relationship with them.  The similarities are much greater than the differences. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011