Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PMBR goes full while BarBri feels the heat...  (Read 4003 times)

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
PMBR goes full while BarBri feels the heat...
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
KAPLAN PMBR EXPANDS INTO FULL-SERVICE BAR REVIEW

NEW YORK, NY (August 5, 2008) – Kaplan, the global educational services provider, has extended its bar review offerings to include full-service preparation programs for students preparing for the state bar exams in New York, New Jersey and Florida....

“Our extension into full-service bar review was a natural progression, given Kaplan’s 70-year history of preparing students for standardized exams and PMBR’s 30 years of experience in multistate bar review,” said John Polstein, CEO of Kaplan’s test prep division, under which Kaplan PMBR operates.  “We’ve combined unparalleled test prep experience and resources in technology, training, research and service with expertise gained from preparing over half a million attorneys for the bar – plus input from thousands of past, present and future bar takers.  We’re excited to innovate and boost the standard of quality in the full-service bar review market.”

Kaplan PMBR’s comprehensive programs will cover preparation for the MBE plus state-specific portions of the bar exams in New York, New Jersey and Florida.  Unique and industry-pioneering program features include on-demand online course videos which enable students to make up missed lectures at their convenience, personalized study plans that pinpoint students’ specific areas of weakness and provide resources for targeted improvement, unlimited essay grading, an “Ask the Attorney” hotline, an “MBE Qbank” online quiz builder, and a money-back guarantee.

The programs will be available beginning in Florida for the winter 2009 bar exam and in Florida, New York and New Jersey for the summer 2009 bar exam.

http://www.kaplanpmbr.com/Bar_Review/Courses/fl-complete-bar-review.html
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
Re: PMBR goes full while BarBri feels the heat...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
So last Thursday while I was packing my bags to go to Tampa so I can take my MPRE.  I get a call from one of my classmates.  Supposedly, the BarBri Director in FL called my classmate that me and her would have to choose who to work for this year.

My friend and I are BarBri and PMBR reps at our school. For those that don't know, as a rep after selling so many packages were are entitled to the courses for free.  Traditionally PMBR covered the MBE courses and offered 3 or 6 day courses that capped the BarBri schedule.  BarBri offers both MBE and the state portion prep.

Now PMBR is going full service offering both MBE and State.

So back to the story, the Director said that when we signed our contracts there was a non-compete clause in there that prohibited us from working for a direct competitor. (Sh*t if I even remember signing to such a provision) PMBR wasn't a direct competitor because they only offered the MBE.

So now I have to make a choice.

If I leave Barbri they will pay for 2/3 of my BarBri tuition and decide to stick with PMBR.  However, if I do vice-versa I can only be eligible for either the 3 or 6 day course  and not the FULL SERVICE from PMBR.  Decisions, decisions... There is a twist though, if I sell 5 more PMBR packages I will be entitled to the full PMBR.

Mind you, I am considering taking the NY bar, so I definitely need help with the MPT and the NY portion.

Another thing is, even if I both FULL courses could I even take BOTH at the same time.  Meaning will I have time. For instance, even if I decided to take the PMBR in the AM and the BarBri at night that would leave me NO REVIEW TIME to do questions.

So can I get some advice here...
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »
I was also both a PMBR and a BarBri rep and let me just say that I'm glad I got out when I did b/c this situation sucks that you're going through right now. PMBR is messin with the Church's money!  They really wanna take BarBri on head to head huh?  OK.

Well first things first, PMBR's MBE pimp slaps BarBri's MBE, so when it comes to MBE you are way better off with the PMBR stuff.  The BarBri stuff hardly resembles the MBE questions you will see.  So you need PMBR for that.

I have NO IDEA how PMBR will do as full service for the bar.  None.  And neither does anybody else I suppose.  This is very interesting.

Without that knowledge I can't say that it is a wise move to leave BarBri and jump fully on board with PMBR for both the MBE and for the state review...but I also can't argue that it is wise move to stay either.

If they had pulled this crap last year, I probably would have told PMBR to go screw themselves, stayed a BarBri rep, earned the free BarBri course (because I was broke) and found a way to hustle the $300 for the 3 day course. (in retrospect, you don't need the 6 day course AT ALL.  The 3 day course during the middle of the summer is more than enough, especially when you consider that you really don't need either course b/c you're going to be doing over 2000 practice questions on your own from the PMBR books).

So actually, let me rephrase that, because I just remembered that as a PMBR rep they probably mailed you the Red book and the Blue book already.  If you've got those two books already then son you're golden.  @#!* PMBR if they wanna make things complicated.  You've got what you need from them.  Finish out the rest of the year as a BarBri rep, earn your free course, and call it a day.

*note - BarBri is not the end all be all of passing the bar either, for the record.  PMBR's NY state course could prove to be just as superior to BarBri's traditional state course just as PMBR's MBE materials are superior to BarBri's materials.  You take a gamble either way, but at least with BarBri you already know what you're getting.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Saucony Jazz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
PMBR is messin with the Church's money! 

lmao.

I feel that.

You my Son and I Love You!