Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HIV+  (Read 2581 times)

BLOND37

HIV+
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
i realize opinions are like well you know but i want to mention that i am hiv+ in my essay.. should I? should i not?

i also want to mention that i have been unemployed for two years and am 38 years old.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
Re: HIV+
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
i realize opinions are like well you know but i want to mention that i am hiv+ in my essay.. should I? should i not?

i also want to mention that i have been unemployed for two years and am 38 years old.

I am glad that you are still trying to live your life despite your condition. But I do have a few concerns about law school for you. Do you know that stress weakens your immune system? Law school is a cauldron of stress. So you have to be sure that  going to law school will be in the best interests of your health.

Also, will you be able to pay for law school considering the high costs of antiviral drugs? Compounding the cost of antiviral drugs on top of law school debt could push you into poverty. So these are things to consider.

But really, it is none of their business. You are not going to sex school you are going to law school. So it is not any of their business. Mentioning it can set you up for discrimination.

But in some cases, HIV is considered a disability. So you can write about it from the perspective of how you have been able to succeed in life despite having a disability.

But good luck with that. 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

um...I wouldn't mention the unemployed bit.

If your HIV+ status is relevant to why you want to practice law, I'd mention it. There's lots of employment, accommodation discrimination against HIV+ people. There's still a bit of a stigma connected to HIV+ people, unfortunately.

If you're HIV+ and it has nothing to do with why you want to be a lawyer or an addendum, I wouldn't mention it.
YLS c/o 2009

BLOND37

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
thanks for your concern... my god you are so uneducated! you prolly think think hiv poz people still die in two days.
we dont honey.
i have health insurance. i have been poz for 4 years I think i know how much meds cost.
also you have no idea of what i have been thru since 2004.. you wanna talk about stress?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:09:36 PM »
thanks for your concern... my god you are so uneducated! you prolly think think hiv poz people still die in two days.
we dont honey.
i have health insurance. i have been poz for 4 years I think i know how much meds cost.
also you have no idea of what i have been thru since 2004.. you wanna talk about stress?

Try not to let ANTL get to you.  This is just the latest example of her meaning well but failing miserably...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
Yeah, I think ANTL response comes out of concern though I'm sure you have weighed the cost and the stress factors. It really depends on the context for these issues and perhaps if being your being unemployed is directly related to your health issues, a better place to put that might be an addendum. You could certainly mention that you are HIV+ in your essay, but I would focus on how overcoming the illness mentally has made you a stronger person, etc. instead of simply mentioning it with no further explanation as schools will want to make sure that you able to cope with law school (as ANTL suggested) and the stress of it. I'm sure you can and that as an intelligent being you've weighed all these options, so if you do decide to mention it, you've got to allay the adcomm's fears as well.

BLOND37

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »
Yeah, I think ANTL response comes out of concern though I'm sure you have weighed the cost and the stress factors. It really depends on the context for these issues and perhaps if being your being unemployed is directly related to your health issues, a better place to put that might be an addendum. You could certainly mention that you are HIV+ in your essay, but I would focus on how overcoming the illness mentally has made you a stronger person, etc. instead of simply mentioning it with no further explanation as schools will want to make sure that you able to cope with law school (as ANTL suggested) and the stress of it. I'm sure you can and that as an intelligent being you've weighed all these options, so if you do decide to mention it, you've got to allay the adcomm's fears as well.

Thanks. That was a more constructive reply than ANTL.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »
we dont honey.

I certainly do feel bad about your situation. But I will not be attacked like that especially when I was trying to help. Actually I am very educated and I speaking on research. I don't know what you considered and what you didn't consider prior to posting. You did not write in any detail in your post concerning the effects of stress on HIV+ people. And that is an important issue that you should consider--as I wrote. This issue can have an effect on the progression of the disease. So I would be remiss if I did not mention it.

There is serious research that is of concern and I was alerting you to just in case you weren't aware. So don't jump down my throat.

Best wishes,

ANTL

UCLA scientists discover stress accelerates AIDS progression, undermines anti-HIV drugs' effect
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2001/D/200114913.html

Long-term stress suppresses immune system, particularly in those who are sick, finds meta-analysis
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/C274077B-6298-4D5D-8889-EC09D08EB874.asp

Reducing Stress Can Bolster Immune System In HIV-Positive Adults, Others
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/116131.php

Stress, Anger Bad for HIV Patients' Immune System
http://www.thebody.com/content/art19933.html

The immune system vs. stress.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-15594500.html

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
we dont honey.

Try not to let ANTL get to you.  This is just the latest example of her meaning well but failing miserably...

This is another example of you trying to kiss someone's ass.

BLOND37

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:19:28 AM »
To ANTL (which I highly doubt you are) please do not reply to this or any other post by me. Have you been HIV poz since 2004? I dont think so... I have. I know what stress does to me and my body.
While your second post may have been an attempt at an apology it wasnt... in my book and you are only making things worse. i'm done.. i'm locking this topic. you come off all sweet and innocent but youre not. I know your type...