Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT score-based application fee waivers  (Read 1395 times)

amassherst

• View Profile
LSAT score-based application fee waivers
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:15:26 AM »
Do most (T26) schools issue LSAT score-based application fee waivers?  How soon after the LSAT are they issued? 

If I work and bring my LSAT up to 170, would I get some fee waivers from some of the schools?  I'll be a splitter since my GPA is around 3.0, but I wouldn't really want to go anywhere below Boston College rankings-wise.  I am considering Northeastern, though, because the co-op program seems pretty awesome and you can use it to network your way into some sweet positions/offers, I'd imagine. So, anyway, application fee waivers.  As a potential splitter, I'd have to apply to more schools than normal and I'm just interested in finding out how I can keep the application costs down.  I'm working full-time so I doubt that I'd qualify for an LSAC fee waiver. 

amassherst

• View Profile
Re: LSAT score-based application fee waivers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
As a follow-up, would I just be setting myself up for disappointment if I apply anywhere in the top half of T1 that sends me a fee waiver?  Competitive schools apparently send fee waivers to students who have no chance just so they can boost their application numbers and appear more selective to game the USNews rankings.  If any of you received fee waivers (from schools you actually want to attend, schools that may be in your 'reach' category), how did you view them and what did you do?   

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Here's a post I made recently about fee waivers and chances of admissions based on LSN as the data source.

I ran the numbers on LSN from all cycles, which includes about 200,000 applications.

According to the data, 63.4% of people with a fee waiver (merit, special, and unspecified fee waivers only) listed on their application were admitted (either outright [62.4%] or off the WL [1%]). This number is actually a little higher if we take away the "not applied" people (3% of those with a fee waiver did not apply). Even higher if we account for the pending (10% of those with a fee waiver were still pending), though it might be said that you're less likely to admit to being rejected. Even one admittance listed as pending helps the percentage, however.

A little perspective: 33.67% of applications on LSN were accepted outright, with an additional 1.38% accepted off the WL.

The general advice is that receiving a fee waiver isn't an indicator that you're more likely to be admitted. In the aggregate, this seems to indicate otherwise.

Thanks frybread.

BJ, I don't think GULC has done fee waivers lately, but I got the data anyhow. Did my best to make this readable.

Data Valid As Of May 30th (should only affect a few applications)

All Fee Waivers (merit, special, unspecified)

All Schools
Total Applications: 197,979
Total Fee Waived: 10,599
% Waived: 5.4%

Status      % of FW      Total %
Admits      62.4%         34%
WL, Admits   1%         1%
Waitlist   15.4%         12%
Rejected   7.5%         20%
WL, Reject   .01%         1%
Pending      9.9%         19%
Not Applied   3.1%         13%

Columbia
Total Applications: 5134
Total Fee Waived: 608
% Waived: 11.8%

Admits       39%         23%
WL, Admits   .03%         .05%
Waitlist     23%         17%
Rejected    14%         20%
WL, Reject    2%         3%
Pending    19%         23%
Not Applied   3%         13%

Georgetown
Total Applications: 6346
Total Fee Waived: 249
% Waived: 3.9%

Admits      90%         33%
WL, Admits   .04%         2%
Waitlist   4%         11%
Rejected   2%         29%
WL, Reject   0%         1%
Pending      3%         12%
Not Applied   1%         12%

Minnesota
Total Applications: 1,389
Total Fee Waived: 49
% Waived: 3.5%

Admits      67%         37%
WL, Admits   0%         1%
Waitlist   8%         6%
Rejected   4%         18%
WL, Reject   0%         1%
Pending      16%         26%
Not Applied   4%         12%

LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
Thanks! 

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
Be sure to ask for fee waivers too, even if they aren't pro actively offered. I sent Michigan an email asking for a fee waiver; I detailed my LSAC number, name, a very brief explanation of my extracurriculars, and of course my GPA and LSAT. Remarkably, they gave me the waiver even though my LSAT is at the median and my GPA fell below the 25th%. I got another waiver this way at Minnesota as well. Cornell shot me down (they don't do any waivers). It definitely worth it to ask for your own waivers though for school's you're interested at.

Alternatively, I found that because of fee waivers that I applied to a disproportionate number of "safety" type schools and turned all of them down in the end. It was sort of a waste of time for me and a waste of an admissions slot for other applicants. So be careful about overloading your safety picks.
_______
.|E|R|S.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »
Be sure to ask for fee waivers too, even if they aren't pro actively offered. I sent Michigan an email asking for a fee waiver; I detailed my LSAC number, name, a very brief explanation of my extracurriculars, and of course my GPA and LSAT. Remarkably, they gave me the waiver even though my LSAT is at the median and my GPA fell below the 25th%. I got another waiver this way at Minnesota as well. Cornell shot me down (they don't do any waivers). It definitely worth it to ask for your own waivers though for school's you're interested at.

Alternatively, I found that because of fee waivers that I applied to a disproportionate number of "safety" type schools and turned all of them down in the end. It was sort of a waste of time for me and a waste of an admissions slot for other applicants. So be careful about overloading your safety picks.

When did you ask for fee waivers? I was thinking about doing that, but I didn't want to do it too early and annoy the admissions offices.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »
I took the LSAT late in the previous cycle (December?) when fewer fee waivers are issued.  However, I did not intend to apply until this cycle.  I'm curious whether I can have name and LSAT score resubmitted to the candidate referral service in order to accrue the early and more abundant fee waivers for this cycle.

I can call LSAC and ask on Monday, so I'm basically thinking out loud.

I can't call, and I took the LSAT in February. Can you let me know what they say?