Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Had first lay prestige snub the other day  (Read 7815 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Had first lay prestige snub the other day
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
I understand the lay prestige problem.

I know people who prefer the opposite - a friend of mine did Yale undergrad and hates getting asked where he went for college.

I knew a girl just like that too! When I met her I asked where she went to school and she muttered something like "...hayward..." under her breath. I asked again and got the same muffled noise. Then I asked a third time and she confessed she went to Harvard. Pretty funny. She was from a small plains state though, and next to no one around here ends up at an Ivy League.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »
I understand the lay prestige problem.

I know people who prefer the opposite - a friend of mine did Yale undergrad and hates getting asked where he went for college.

I knew a girl just like that too! When I met her I asked where she went to school and she muttered something like "...hayward..." under her breath. I asked again and got the same muffled noise. Then I asked a third time and she confessed she went to Harvard. Pretty funny. She was from a small plains state though, and next to no one around here ends up at an Ivy League.

I am definitely one of these people.  The summer before college, my friend's SO's mom asked where I was going to school.  I muttered the name so quietly that she thought I just said "yeah."  Ever since then, my friend has always referred to my college as Yeah University.   ;D
I have a PhD in horribleness!

LSN

daidaniu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
Chicago prestige snub:

So over thanksgiving, my aunt asked me where I went to law school, and I said the University of Chicago.

"oh, is that a commuter school?" she asked. 

I said no, it's a "normal kind of school". I didn't really know how to reply to that.

I was irritated at the lack of name rec at first but have since completely gotten over it.  I went to a not-so-great undergrad, so when I first got into a bunch of top law schools (many of whom most people would in fact recognize) I was really looking forward to that whole prestige rush thing. Oh well. 

Now I enjoy being able to tell people where I go to school without having people get all wide-eyed and remark, "Oh, u must be a genious!" or some variation.  (I only know it gets old because I hang out with a friend who goes to Harvard Law - and this kind of reaction happens all the time.)  The people that count for my career know about Chicago, and the others, well, they just know I'm studying law and that's fine. 
Nothin' left to give.

odd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »
Great to see so many of my future classmates here.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the non-prestigious U of C.  Even though my mother was (is?) in shock that I'd pick "some city college" over Georgetown :D

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
I went to an Ivy undergrad and people there actually were like this regarding where they went to HIGH SCHOOL.  I remember one guy during orientation was going on and on about his high school, but when you tried to get out of him which school he went to you had to practically torture him to get an answer you could actually hear.  I actually found it more condescending that he thought I would be somehow intimidated by hearing he went to Exeter.  Who cares?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
I guess I'm the odd man out; I couldn't care less what laypeople think about my school's "prestige." I know the quality of my school, and people's ignorance of that quality means little to me. After all, I'm attending law school to obtain a great job, not to impress laypeople.

A lot of guys are attending law school specifically to lay laypeople, though.   ;)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:22 AM »
Great to see so many of my future classmates here.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the non-prestigious U of C.  Even though my mother was (is?) in shock that I'd pick "some city college" over Georgetown :D

Love the Kefka 'tar. Have you played FF III (the real FF3, not the FF6 that is commonly referred to as FF3) on the DS? Just finished it. Great classic RPG.

I guess I'm the odd man out; I couldn't care less what laypeople think about my school's "prestige." I know the quality of my school, and people's ignorance of that quality means little to me. After all, I'm attending law school to obtain a great job, not to impress laypeople.

A lot of guys are attending law school specifically to lay laypeople, though.   ;)

Hilarious, but true, point.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
I got a backhanded compliment snub. I was hanging out with some Harvard kids a few weeks ago. I got a point over on one of them during a friendly argument, and one of the other guys was like "How do you like that? Michigan just put you in your place," said as if it were such an unbelievable occurrence that a lowly Michigan law student could ever out-think someone at the vaunted Kennedy School of Government  ::).
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
Us lowly, lowly Michigan saps.
_______
.|E|R|S.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
What does KSG teach you, anyway?  How to be a mid-level office manager at a Washington Think Tank?

Is that any better than the document review you'll be doing your first few years out of school?  :-*
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament