Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does anyone average take the lsat or go to law school?  (Read 5965 times)

jobq48

• View Profile
does anyone average take the lsat or go to law school?
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »
It seems like only the super gifted and lsat obsessed talk about their experiences on chat rooms. I got a 3.3 gpa from an average public state university.  I didnt have any time to practice for my lsats so I did what everyone tells you not to do and took the lsat with no preparation and scored a 150. If 50% of all students taking the lsat score below a 151 where are they? Do they just give up and not go to law school? Its almost impossible to find a descent law school with an lsat score below the mid 150s.  Everyone on these boards seems so elitist.  You know there are people out there that just want to get into a state school, graduate with minimal debt, and work for a small firm because they have an interest in law and not just the money.  Where are those people at?  For the record, I am taking the lsat again in October and I just started studying and I will probably only take two real practice tests and do about 2/3 hrs of studying a week.  I know it seems obsurd to most of you, but to those with jobs, school, and a social its simply reality.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone average take the lsat or go to law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
so you want the benefit of being a lawyer with minimal work? Those 150 and below LSAT takers are probably at Cooley Law School depressed about dim job prospect upon graduation. The reason why LSAT takers are anal and elitist is because people like you who aren't serious about law school saturate job markets, are forced to take jobs at low pay, and it creates unnecessary competition for serious people who put in the work.

jobq48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Don't worry SwEep Ill stay here in the midwest and not saturate your west coast job market. Just because I go to grad school and work full time does not mean I am not serious about law.  On the contrary, I just have to work harder. Sorry I am not blessed with parents that support me and loads of free time.  I was just trying to see if there was anyone out there like me.

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Don't worry SwEep Ill stay here in the midwest and not saturate your west coast job market. Just because I go to grad school and work full time does not mean I am not serious about law.  On the contrary, I just have to work harder. Sorry I am not blessed with parents that support me and loads of free time.  I was just trying to see if there was anyone out there like me.

I'm like you in that I went to school (at an "average" state school)  and worked full time, and my parents didn't support me, and I had little to no free time. But I'm not like you in that I used the free time I did have to study for the test, did very well, and wouldn't have blamed it on my lack of parental support or my need to work if I hadn't.  I'm not worried about you saturating the job market, because I'll get the good job anyways. I work hard and don't make excuses.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »
I mean, first of all, it seems obvious that anyone who posts on LSD and TLS are going to be self selecting. If you care enough to post repeatedly on an online forum, you probably care enough to want to get above a 160. And in fact, there are many posters on here who do score in the 150's and 160's and discuss where they want to go. There are a lot of people who go to lower ranked schools. But they don't come on here and try to put down other people for being 'elitist'. If you want elitism, go to XOXO. My only guess is you've come on here, perused a handful of threads, felt inadequate in some way, and needed to justify that to yourself by putting down other people. I wouldn't make such a harsh statement if your accusations were founded on anything, but every bit of advice on here has been geared towards the goals of those who ask for it whether they are hoping to get a 160 or a 180, go to Florida Coastal or Stanford. If you want to study 2 - 3 hours per week and do two PT's, then great. But don't attack those of us who want to do more than that simply because we want a higher score or to go to a better ranked school.

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
Just because I go to grad school and work full time does not mean I am not serious about law.  On the contrary, I just have to work harder. Sorry I am not blessed with parents that support me and loads of free time.  I was just trying to see if there was anyone out there like me.

My parents haven't paid a cent for my undergraduate education...which, for your information, is at a bad state school. I got where I am working hard both in school and in my jobs (read:  multiple). The only reason I'm still in college is because I worked hard enough and did well enough to rack up enough scholarships to go for free. And while I've been doing that, I've managed to study quite hard for the LSAT and improve my score drastically.

The only reason you have for not scoring well on the LSAT is lack of devotion or lack of intelligence, and I don't sympathise with you for either. Don't even bother with some excuse about not having enough time, because that's bull. If you cared, you would make time.

I hope you enjoy wherever your carelessness and lack of devotion takes you in life - you've certainly earned it.
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »

Living on your own is not an achievement.

boo_pragmatism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »
Alienating yourself from a diverse group of indiviuals that could greatly assist you in improving on a test you obviously struggled with seems a bit unwise. Good luck on your retake, whether you choose to study hard or not.

Edit: Sweep, is that you playing rubber guard in your avatar?

jobq48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
Ok, this post was not meant to put anyone down or stir up all this.  I have seen well over 100 topics on this web site and while there are many that are helpful, there are just as many like this one where everyone is just stroking their egos. I am not putting anyone down for working hard or trying to do the best they can.  I was just noting that almost everyone on here scores top 25% or better on their lsats. I was just looking to see if there was anyone on this site that had a lower lsat score and not enough time to study.  I am glad I could give you all a chance to get your rocks off. Sorry if I lack "intelligence and devotion" and that Im "careless".  Im just trying to make the best of my situation and pursue a law degree.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
Ok, this post was not meant to put anyone down or stir up all this.  I have seen well over 100 topics on this web site and while there are many that are helpful, there are just as many like this one where everyone is just stroking their egos. I am not putting anyone down for working hard or trying to do the best they can.  I was just noting that almost everyone on here scores top 25% or better on their lsats. I was just looking to see if there was anyone on this site that had a lower lsat score and not enough time to study.  I am glad I could give you all a chance to get your rocks off. Sorry if I lack "intelligence and devotion" and that Im "careless".  Im just trying to make the best of my situation and pursue a law degree.

Face it. most people here want the best possible score. they have this mindset. i don't think this makes them elitist, but rather passionate about what they want. people here are generally courteous and kind. They are always helping free of cost.