Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IP Electives or Bar related courses?  (Read 1732 times)

bodhi

• View Profile
    • Email
IP Electives or Bar related courses?
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:41:23 AM »
I am a 2l and my school does not require several courses that are tested on the Texas Bar, such as Evidence, Wills and Trust, etc... I am interested in IP and Real Property law. Should i just take all property related courses or should i take more Bar related courses? Could I just rely on the Bar prep course after graduation to learn what I need for the Bar? I am worried that if i take all property classes that I might not be prepared for the Bar. Any suggestions?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IP Electives or Bar related courses?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
Most professors will tell you not to worry about so-called 'bar' courses at all, for at least two reasons:

1)  The material taught in the course may not be the same as state law in any jurisdiction.
2)  Your retention with the bar exam still over a year away may not be so great (I know mine wouldn't be!)

So, although it's good to have some grounding in basic areas of law from a common law perspective, I wouldn't worry about bar courses.  Take what you're interested in and maybe some basic courses in areas of law that will cut across any given state (administrative law, Federal Courts...)
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
bar courses worth taking: crim pro, evidence, corporations, and trust & estates
not worth taking: secured trans & commercial paper, conflicts of laws, any sort of con law beyond what you're exposed to as a 1L, domestic relations, etc.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
A professor of mine told our class a little while ago that the prep classes for the bar (Barbri specifically) can be very useful tools, even if you haven't taken the course. They have it down to a science apparently. She claimed she didn't take most of the classes that were on the NY bar and she did just fine (as did many of her peers). She is also brilliant, so you might want to consider that info ...

Other than the different Jx and won't remember it arguments (which are valid), I also think you should just take whatever interests you. It is your education. I've been told by many a patent attorney that taking Patent Law did not help them at all. However, I would much rather take Patent Law than Income Tax. You just sat through a year of taking stuff without an option. Exercise your options.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:07:58 AM »
bar courses worth taking: crim pro, evidence, corporations, and trust & estates
not worth taking: secured trans & commercial paper, conflicts of laws, any sort of con law beyond what you're exposed to as a 1L, domestic relations, etc.

I agree with T. Durden.  The classes he recommends can be a little tricky, and even though Bar/Bri has it down to a science, I was still very relived that I had taken these classes.  It made Bar/Bri an easy and effective review of the tricky stuff (and these areas are the most likely to have tricky rules even for Bar/Bri, which typically excels at simplifying things). 

But aside from these, everything else you learn in bar/bri is relatively simple; the problem comes from the sheer volume.  So if you can fit those first 4 in your schedule easily, consider taking them.  Otherwise, take whatever makes you happy.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »
jacy makes a good point, one that I overlooked.

I guess at some point I would like to think (perhaps naively) that at some point I could take some classes in school for pure academic pursuit, not to satisfy some other motive.

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I think I probably would have taken comercial paper and secured transactions rather than a couple of wasted classes if I did it all over again.

I just self studied for the bar for almost a week and passed but it was a little closer than I'd like because I am pretty sure I got 0 points on a commercial paper essay question.

EDIT:
That is crazy that evidence is not required.  Evidence should be required at every law school IMO.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 06:54:49 AM »

I just self studied for the bar for almost a week and passed but it was a little closer than I'd like because I am pretty sure I got 0 points on a commercial paper essay question.

Maybe that's because you only studied for 5 days?

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »
Maybe that's because you only studied for 5 days?

Well yea because I didnt have a ton of time to invest in learning Commercial Paper.  In fact, I didnt put much time into admin law or commercial paper because they were shown to be rarely if ever tested.  However, both subjects appeared on the bar.  Since I took admin and other courses that applied admin law, I understood everything that I reviewed about it and did well on that essay.  Since I did not take Commercial Paper, I was confused when I reviewed it and basically could only write down some definitions I memorized and try to apply some facts to them on the bar (my buddy told me what the question was about after and laughed when I told him what I wrote for it...he said that i had a chance at 1 pt because only one of the definitions I wrote down was applicable).